Migration notice. Partner works. Commitments. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Migration notice. Partner works. Commitments.

Options
LucyLou221
LucyLou221 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Good evening, 

We received our migration notice, from tax credits to uc. 
My partner works full time and received 24500 a year. We have 2 children. We get middle rate dla for our eldest. I am currently a ft student final year, it's 5 and a half hours per week taught sessions. 
I do care for our eldest more than 35 hours per week. 
The date on the migration is very close to my official university end date. 
As by then I will be not working but caring for our eldest (10) and as I understand I won't be told to look for work as a commitment. But my partner works 42 hours a week. Will he need to sign anything for the claim or will they just see his earnings? 
Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,489 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will be able to claim carers element for your child and you won’t have any commitments.

Your partner will be in the light touch group due to their earnings.

When you claim UC you will both likely need to attend your local job centre as new claimants. You will both need to agree to your claimant commitments but very likely it will be to just agree to report changes. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LucyLou221
    Options
    Thank you for the response.

I've just noticed our migration notice is on the date we get tax credits, will we still get paid that day? If I leave it until then to claim. 

Also we are worse off on universal credit, is transitional element automatically added? 
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You have 3 months to claim UC, otherwise your tax credits will end. 

You should still receive that payment if you claim on that day. BACS payments are sent at least a few days before it goes into your bank. 

Once you’ve claimed UC you will receive your final tax credits award notice at some point in the future. 

Transitional Protection will be included if you’re worse off on UC. The calculation will depend on your Tax credits figures.

Do be aware that TP will erode over time so if other elements increase the TP decreases until such a time it erodes completely. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • LucyLou221
    Options
    Thank you. 
    I just wanted to make sure I was reading it right. That I could claim on that day and still be entitled to the tp or if I had to do it like the day before. 
    So if I do claim a bit sooner. I will still receive something from tax credits up to the date I apply for uc? 
  • poppy123456
    edited February 8
    Options
    You have up until the date on the letter to claim it. Once you submit your claim for UC your tax credits will be paid up until the day before you submit your claim. 

If you claim the day your due your tax credits you will still receive the payment. The same if you claim the day before.

Once they calculate your final award notice, if they owe you money you will receive it, if you owe them then this will need to be repaid back. 
  • LucyLou221
    Options
    Thank you. 
    I just wanted to check. As the tax year changes in April and benefits are going up, will transitional protection cover the tax credit award that will be in force when I apply in May? 
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Any entitlement to TP will be based on your tax credits award and the difference between that and what your UC entitlement is. 

TP also erodes over time too so if other elements increase or you become entitled to other elements then the TP decreases. 

• LucyLou221
    Options
    Any entitlement to TP will be based on your tax credits award and the difference between that and what your UC entitlement is. 

TP also erodes over time too so if other elements increase or you become entitled to other elements then the TP decreases. 

Thank you. Would you say to leave it until after the April increase? 

Our migration date is 3rd May, but my last uni hand in date is 18th May. Would I need to say I'm a full time student? Even though for half of the month I won't be anymore? 
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When is the best time to claim is a very good question and not one I would like to advise on I'm afraid. The reason for this is because it's so complicated and there are some mixed views on this. If I hear or see any more solid information then I will be sure to let you know.

If you're still a student when you claim then yes you will need to report this. Although your UC entitlement is based on your circumstances on the last day of each assessment period. This means if you claim on 8th April then your AP will be 8th to 7th of every month so on the first AP you will still be a student. At the end of your 2nd AP you will no longer be a student. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.