If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Citizens Advice concerned me.

Options
Liam9529
Liam9529 Community member Posts: 36 Connected
So, I went to CAB yesterday to get pip forms filled out and I think he messed it up. He didn't list when I was diagnosed. He ignored what I told him and just kept putting "due to my mental health issues and disorders I struggle with X and Y" on most questions. And didn't really list any examples, he claimed to be a social worker. But I'm not sure. I sent the form in. It wasn't until I got home that It hit me. Am I screwed?

Comments

• Carlosos
    Carlosos Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Options
    No not really. Try not to worry too much. Chances are you will get a phone assessment so you can explain more when that happens and worse case you can apply for mandatory reconsideration as the next stage if rejected. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, it doesn’t mean you will now be refused. You can also send in more evidence to support your claim so you can give those real world examples. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Liam9529
    Options
    Certain things don't seem right though guys, For example he wrote: 
    "I very much need help with this due to my disorders and mental health issues, Without the help, I would struggle to commucate effectively and safely" For talkling, listening and understanding.

He then wrote "I am unable to manage this succssfully due to my mental health and disorders, therefore It is completely managed for me by my family."

"Again, Reading complex info is very diffucilt due to my disorders and mental health issues"

is it me or is this so vague?

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,729 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Liam9529 please try not to worry too much, if you feel it was too vague, you can write your own account and send that in as additional evidence. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Liam9529
    Options
    Hi @Liam9529 please try not to worry too much, if you feel it was too vague, you can write your own account and send that in as additional evidence. 
    Thank you, I do have a notebook full of examples. I'm guessing I can use them when I get the assessment? I hope so anyway. I don't think its TOO vague as such but I was under the impression you write a ton in those boxes. I hope I haven't been hindered by him. 

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Liam9529 You can use those examples when you have your assessment. When I had my forms for Universal Credit. I wrote sentences similar to how you have described the Citizen's Advice worker has for your PIP forms. I expanded more when having my assessment. I know this can be such a stressful process to go through, please try not to worry. And please, keep us updated on the outcome! Keeping everything crossed it goes quick for you! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Liam9529
    Options
    Thank you Hannah, I will! I just thought it was vague but hearing you say that has reassured me.

• poppy123456
    Options
    You could have included more information before you posted the form. Or you can do as I advised here. 

You can also send in more evidence to support your claim so you can give those real world examples. 
    I wouldn’t wait for the assessment, I would send the information ASAP. The more information they have the less chance of you needing an assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Liam9529
    Options
    So how do I send it? I've forgotten. My mind is so overloaded.

• poppy123456
    Options
    You can send it to PIP through the post if you kept the address where you sent your form. If you didn't then you'll need to ring them to ask what the address is because all areas are different I believe. 
  • Liam9529
    Options
    You can send it to PIP through the post if you kept the address where you sent your form. If you didn't then you'll need to ring them to ask what the address is because all areas are different I believe. 
    Do I send in my notes or do I send in evidence? All this is so overwhelming.
    When I offered the evidence for the form, the CAB rep said to leave it out...
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I have no idea why you were advised to leave out evidence, especially if it's relevant to how your conditions affect you. 
  • Liam9529
    Options
    I have no idea why you were advised to leave out evidence, especially if it's relevant to how your conditions affect you. 
    I had a full envelope full of evidence, from high school etc showing my autism. He said "We'll just leave it out." And now I'm full blown panic mode. I'm gonna go to the library tomorrow and photocopy it, Hoping they'll accept it.

• poppy123456
    Options
    There will be absolutely no reason for them not to accept any evidence you send. Please make sure you put your name and NI number on everything you send. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree with both Albus & poppy to send in your own extra evidence asap. & not to wait until any assessment. Unfortunately Citizens Advice were being far too general, & weren't giving those real life detailed examples that show exactly how you personally are affected.
    It's good that you've kept a notebook full of examples. If you could give a couple of examples for each descriptor you have difficulty with detailing for example, when did it happen, where, what exactly happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences to attempting/doing an activity?

Say if you can do each applicable activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat as often as one would reasonably expect, or if it takes you much longer than someone without a disability. Say where you might need support or prompting too.

If you can't find the address, then ring the PIP enquiry line on 0800 121 4433 to find out the address you need to send your evidence to. It's best to ring first thing in the morning at 9 am.

• Liam9529
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    I agree with both Albus & poppy to send in your own extra evidence asap. & not to wait until any assessment. Unfortunately Citizens Advice were being far too general, & weren't giving those real life detailed examples that show exactly how you personally are affected.
    It's good that you've kept a notebook full of examples. If you could give a couple of examples for each descriptor you have difficulty with detailing for example, when did it happen, where, what exactly happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences to attempting/doing an activity?

Say if you can do each applicable activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat as often as one would reasonably expect, or if it takes you much longer than someone without a disability. Say where you might need support or prompting too.

If you can't find the address, then ring the PIP enquiry line on 0800 121 4433 to find out the address you need to send your evidence to. It's best to ring first thing in the morning at 9 am.

I put down things for washing and bathing but because he didn't classify it as mental he ticked no. I can't send that in I assume 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Liam9529 said:
    chiarieds said:

I put down things for washing and bathing but because he didn't classify it as mental he ticked no. I can't send that in I assume 
    That's appalling!! Having mental health issues doesn't mean it's not possible to score points in that activity. People with mental health may need prompting to wash/bath because they may feel like they just can't be bothered. They may go days without washing and not realise because that's the last thing on their mind. 

My daughter has Autism and a learning disability and needs prompting for this activity. She's often gone into the shower and turned it on without checking the temperature first and burnt herself. Before she goes in I will always check. The same with a bath when we had one. I would always run it for her to make sure the temperature was correct first.

It's never too late to send more information and that includes for this descriptor and any other descriptor you feel that not enough of information was given. 

I agree with chairieds that often members post here saying they were unhappy with the way Citizens advice filled out their form. I've also known them to give incorrect information for benefits advice too. 
  • Liam9529
    Options
    I spent an hour last night rewriting everything out into a bigger page to send in. Do I send the pages in after photocopying them?
  • Nashota
    Nashota Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    I'm very sorry that this has happened to you as well!

This happened to me when I asked for help from Welfare Rights with my PIP review, they put minimal information on my form, I didn't see it before he sent it because it was an home appointment and he took the form with him, I only grew concerned when I had my review assessment and the assessor noted the form in his report, so I asked for a copy of it from Welfare Rights, the man hadn't even uploaded a copy of it and had left Welfare Rights, I spoke to them after about evidence and they stupidly said I could send it if I need it for an MR/Tribunal. I also disputed the information on the form with Welfare Rights, they tried to tell me that you didn't need to put a lot, you can do that when you do an MR or tribunal which annoyed me a lot, so I told them that's not what I've read or been advised. From then on I made sure Welfare Rights showed me everything. I did end up having to appeal but it was overturned at the appeal stage, thankfully.

When the assessment company I had for ESA allowed me to redo my ESA50,  I had read the advice on here, I had a bit of help from my advocate and a Welfare Rights officer and I used a guide, I didn't let them fill my form in though, my son helped me with that, I had sent them my answers via email which they either tidied up or added to and this Welfare Rights officer was actually kind of helpful and said that I fit a couple of other descriptors that I didn't think I could. Long story short, a GPFR was requested, I was given a paperbased assessment and moved to SG.

You definitely can score points in things like washing for mental health, in my very first assessment most (not all) of my award was based on my mental health (enhanced/enhanced), I scored 2 points in washing because I need to be prompted, dressing was 2 because I need to be prompted, budgeting decisions was 2 because I need prompting/assistance, reading 2 as I need help with reading information.

My PIP review was a bit of a nightmare but I partly blame my form for that and my own struggles with explaining myself, I actually had a panic attack and disassociated during the assessment and was just giving answers to get rid of the person. They changed my award from being mainly about my mental health to my FM and lowered my rates for both.

I'm glad you're getting advice from people on here I have always found Poppy to be very helpful.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Liam9529 said:
    I spent an hour last night rewriting everything out into a bigger page to send in. Do I send the pages in after photocopying them?
    Yes you can send extra evidence at any time. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.