Hi, my name is newuser! Has anyone had a similar experience with motability? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is newuser! Has anyone had a similar experience with motability?

newuser
newuser Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited February 10 in Transport and travel
I have applied for my first motorbility grant. so far it has been a bad experience. First call the adviser tried to fob me off, telling me to go to the site to look for cars without a deposit! However, the make and model of car i've always driven requires a deposit. i then had an email asking for me to pay half the deposit. after declaring i have no savings or means to do this as stated on application. So i’m not optimistic i will be awarded. Has anyone had this experience?

Comments

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,186 Disability Gamechanger
    It will be impossible for anyone here to tell you whether your grant application will be successful or how much if anything they may allow. It’s a grant and it’s not guaranteed. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • newuser
    newuser Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    my question was not asking would I get it! I was asking if anyone had a similar experience🤷‍♂️
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 356 Pioneering
    edited February 10

    @newuser

    Although I personally lack experience with mobility vehicles and grant applications, I have gained knowledge about the process through a friend whose daughter was recently granted assistance with the deposit on her car from the Mobility Foundation.  Applicants have to demonstrate a genuine need for financial support towards the deposit, rather than just seeking extra help for a preferred vehicle.

    For those now taking part in the mobility scheme for the first time, a one off payment of £750.00 is now automatically provided  through Motability. This payment can serve as a deposit for the vehicle, if one is  necessary. In the event that a vehicle does not require a deposit, the full amount of £750.00 will be given as a one off payment, which will be transferred to the participant's bank account following handover of the new car. I hope this information is useful to you.


  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 1,618 Scope online community team
    Hi @newuser :) welcome to the community. Sorry to hear you've not have a good time with Motability so far.

    I've not got experience of this myself, but I'll pop your post over to our transport section where hopefully some more members with similar experiences can share what they went through. I just wanted to let you know first and say hello and welcome! 
    Rosie (she/her)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • newuser
    newuser Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Rosie, thank you for the warm welcome 😊 Much appreciated👍
  • newuser
    newuser Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    MW123 said:

    @newuser

    Although I personally lack experience with mobility vehicles and grant applications, I have gained knowledge about the process through a friend whose daughter was recently granted assistance with the deposit on her car from the Mobility Foundation.  Applicants have to demonstrate a genuine need for financial support towards the deposit, rather than just seeking extra help for a preferred vehicle.

    For those now taking part in the mobility scheme for the first time, a one off payment of £750.00 is now automatically provided  through Motability. This payment can serve as a deposit for the vehicle, if one is  necessary. In the event that a vehicle does not require a deposit, the full amount of £750.00 will be given as a one off payment, which will be transferred to the participant's bank account following handover of the new car. I hope this information is useful to you.



  • newuser
    newuser Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    MW123 Thank you. This is very useful information. Much appreciated 👍
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    edited February 11
    If you are wanting a particular car then going the route of a grant could end up being counter-productive to what you are hoping to achieve. If the grant application is approved then they will give you a list of cars to choose from. You can't decide you want a particular car and then apply for a grant to help you finance it because thats not how the grant system works it works on what you require not what you want.

    In terms of the Motability scheme you have to have at least some flexibility in terms of the vehicle you wish to choose, especially if you are not in a position to come up with, what in some cases, turn out to be quite large advance payments.

    I've seen it on a lot of various Motability forums where people are basically being 'badge snobs' rather than actually looking for a car that is suitable for their requirements and then end up complaining loudly that they can't afford the AP of usually a BMW, Mercedes or Audi and will not even look at anything else even though there are alternatives on the scheme that would be more than suitable for them. I am not saying this is whats happening in your particular case but I can say with certainty that the grant scheme will not take into account the fact that you are used to driving a particular brand or model of car when it comes to what they will offer you in terms of vehicle choice if your application is approved and will only offer a choice of what they consider suitable for your needs.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,038 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think them telling you to look at cars that don't require a deposit is necessarily a "fob off" because it is sound advice. As stated the fact that you have always driven a certain car doesn't mean anything so before you ask for a grant it would be worth looking to see if anything from a different brand fits your needs as you may be pleasantly surprised and find that you do not require a grant in the first place. :)
  • newuser
    newuser Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    66Mustang said:
    I don't think them telling you to look at cars that don't require a deposit is necessarily a "fob off" because it is sound advice. As stated the fact that you have always driven a certain car doesn't mean anything so before you ask for a grant it would be worth looking to see if anything from a different brand fits your needs as you may be pleasantly surprised and find that you do not require a grant in the first place. :)
    i have already looked at different cars but they do to suit my needs! hence why I have applied for a grant!   surely best practice would help the client with their needs to improve their quality of life and mobility! seems pointless having a grant in the first instance ! May as well tell everyone to get a car without a grant. Much fairer process ! 
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    @newuser so exactly what cars do you consider suitable for your needs and why only those cars?

    If you can give us insight into what you are looking for in a car there's enough of us on here in various Motability cars to maybe offer you alternatives you might not have considered.
  • newuser
    newuser Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi thank you. I have exhausted all options, I now await the decision that the decision makers will make on what they think Is right for me. I have no say or control over what Is decided ultimately. Therefore a mute point, and no need to discuss any further I believe. BrettW said:
    @newuser so exactly what cars do you consider suitable for your needs and why only those cars?

    If you can give us insight into what you are looking for in a car there's enough of us on here in various Motability cars to maybe offer you alternatives you might not have considered.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.