Lost PIP letter. Missed deadline for MR now have a Work Capability Assessment. What's the difference

NDME
NDME Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi all

I recieved my PIP letter saying I wasn't being awarded any points. The whole experience was complete overwhelming and I was like a rabbit in the headlights in the face to face meeting. I'm waiting for my full ADHD assessment but this wasn't the main factor, just a contributing factor. I have 3 other health implications with pain and mobility and an upcoming operation.  The assessor was asking me questions I simply didn't quite understand what she meant. So my answer was simple. I don't like to show weakness of pain, even if I'm in it. I wouldn't think if acting to make it more believable.  My generation is a just getnon with it and don't complain. I was asked to do 3 simple movements which in no way related to my difficulties or pain, so were pointless.

The ADHD part means my mind is constantly like a pinball machine.  My executive function is poor and my working memory fails me consistently daily. 

My question is. I have been to my doctor more since my assessment, and now I'm getting more support. 

I have a fit note and now have to fill in a capability for work assessment. This jogged my memory for the PIP mandatory reconsideration and the one month deadline. As it's  the 10th now, have I missed it? I can't find the letter.

Also, how does the work capability assessment differ from the PIP assessment?

Sorry it's so long. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    You have 13 months to request the MR. If you're outside the 1 month timeframe then you will need to tell them why you didn't request it within the first month. If they refuse then you just move onto the Tribunal. 

You should put the request in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Just telling them you can't do an activity isn't enough you have to explain why and what happened the last time you attempted it. 

It does help to have some understanding of the descriptors and criteria and what they mean. This may help with that. Though it's long, it's well worth taking a little time to read through it. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

The work capability assessment and PIP, the way they are completed is similar but they are 2 very different benefits, with different criteria. For the work capability assessment it's about the work you can do, rather than the work you can't do. PIP has nothing to do with your ability to work. 
  • NDME
    Thank you Poppy. 
  • NDME

Update Poppy: my Work Capability Assessment was 'limited ability for work.' After nearly 2 year wait I have my official ADHD Assessment on July 4th.This after asking for a 'Right to Choose' referral. Every day that appointment will be the elephant in the room that overshadows every waking moment. I'm afraid they will say I don't have it.5 decade of knowing I'm not like everyone else, don't think like everyone else - normal people, can't remember or recall things I checked a hundred times, Alays been on my own. I though I was socially awkward my whole life. I self lableed my struggles as I learning difficulty because I fail to recal things, making it near on impossible to keep the information I need to learn. I'm worried that this lack of recall will mean I fail to give the assessor all the examples he needs to assess my difficulties. And the exhaustion of trying to fit in and appear normal when all I want is the ground to open up and swallow me when I have more than one person to speak to, for more than a few minutes. Finally I will have an answer.

My questions are: will the psychiatrist who assess me but able to pick up on other problems: ptsd, asd, wmd, etc? It has been suggested that there is more going on than just ADHD.

I did have a PIP assessment but the assessor didn't ask me anything that related to my struggles in a way I understood what exactly she was asking me. I probably didn't answer fully as I felt completely overwhelmed having to bring certain things up, shuts me down.I have other issues as well, so combined it's a real daily struggle. I don't have partner or friends, so I have no one to back me up or support me, I just struggle in shame on my own while trying to hide it. When PIP came back with zero points for everything, I read wheat she'd written and everything was basic with no issues. She didn't relay any of the information I gave her. I felt defeated. I wonder if my ADHD assessment comes back positive, it will make my appeal stronger. Should I then ask for a MR?