Universal credit paid for my whole rent this month (extra £260 received), error? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit paid for my whole rent this month (extra £260 received), error?

Options
Dimang
Dimang Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Hi all,
I noticed that UChave paid me £260 extra this month which means they have paid for my whole rent (which is £750). Previously I was only receiving £490 per month towards rent.
I have read that there will be a housing benefit increase this year, but my understanding is that it has not yet started and the increase is not going to be that huge (i.e. in my case from £490 to £750).
So is this an error on their part or will I be receiving £750 towards rent every month from now on?
I would appreciate if someone could clarify. Thanks.

Comments

• Dimang
    Options
    It seems that I am not able to edit my post. But I just wanted to add that this increase is reflected in the payments statement on UC portal. I can also see a breakdown of the figure which is £368.74 for the main UC component and £750.00 for rent (which is exactly how much I pay).
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,535 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It will be impossible to give any advice with such little information. You can't receive any more rent than what you're entitled to. 

Has there been any changes to your circumstances that could mean you're entitled to extra housing element? are you renting from social housing or privately renting? If privately renting are you under 35? single?

Were you affected by the benefit cap? and that has now been lifted? I notice from a previous thread that you requested the MR back in Nov last year for a decision on your WCA. Have you had the decision for that?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dimang
    Options
    Poppy123456,
    I rent privately. I turned 35 in January this year. No other changes at all. I did not proceed with the MR.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you're single, living alone then before you were 35 you would have only been entitled to the shared rate of local housing allowance, unless you were claiming either daily living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or ADP daily living and then you would have been entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. 

If you're not claiming any of those disability benefits then it will be because you're now entitled to the 1 bedroom rate. You can check the amount for your area here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ You will need to put your post code in and drop the box down to 1 bed rate. You will then see the weekly amount. To convert it to monthly you times the amount by 52 and the divide by 12. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Dimang
    Options
    poppy123456,
    Thanks. From your previous post and quickly checking some information on the internet I have realized that I am now eligible for the 1 bedroom rate. That explains it. You are very helpful as usual.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.