Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

HELP NEEDED : PIP CANCELLED

Options
con137411
con137411 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi everyone,

I’m reaching out here for some urgent advice and support regarding a recent issue with my Personal Independence Payment (PIP). I’ve just had a concerning phone call with PIP as I hadn’t received this month's payment, which was due last Wednesday.

Typically, PIP payments have been spot on every month, so I suspected something was amiss. Upon calling, I was swiftly transferred from the usual team to someone higher up, presumably. They informed me that my claim had been cancelled due to not returning my review form. However I never received any review form or communication during December as I should have.

Furthermore, I didn't receive any letter indicating that my claim had been closed, as they claimed to have sent out. Additionally, I was told I should have received reminder texts, which I also never received. It was only because of the missed payment that I even became aware of this issue.

The person I spoke with mentioned that they have initiated a mandatory reconsideration, but shockingly, they informed me it could take up to 8 weeks for a decision. This timeline seems incredibly unreasonable, especially considering I never received any forms or notifications, and now I'm left without any payment during this waiting period.

I’m reaching out to see if anyone else has encountered a similar experience or if there are any tips or suggestions on how to expedite this process. Is there anyone who has had a faster response time or knows of any steps I can take to resolve this matter more quickly?

Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks for your help,
Connor

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,481 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have they got the correct address and phone number for you? 

Did you also ask them to send you another form out? I don’t understand why you’ve asked for a MR at this stage because you need to fill out a review form and return it, once this is done they will reinstate your award. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • con137411
    Options
    Yeah she went through and made sure all my contact/address details were correct as they were. I asked for a review form to be sent again but she said as my claim has been closed now I have to wait 8 weeks for a letter in the post regarding the decision. Felt like I was at a dead end, I’ve read other discussions on here were people have had there’s reinstated after sending their form late, but I didn’t get a form to begin with 
  • con137411
    Options
    I didn’t ask for a mandatory reconsideration, once she told me it had been cancelled and that I should received forms I asked them to be sent out again, to which she responded that she will have to put the MR to see if a case manager will approve reinstating. I then received a text saying I have asked them to look at the decision again.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It’s usually suspended and not stopped completely. I don’t understand why she couldn’t send another review form out to you as they will do that usually. 

I would ring back and ask them to send another form out. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • con137411
    Options
    thanks for the advice! I will ring again now and hopefully not get another dead end. 

It’s really messed up my finances too and I just have to wait 8 weeks with no money, it’s a lot of stress 
  • con137411
    Options
    I just spoke to them again and even though they said its not my fault cause I didn't receive any form, the decision has been made and my pip has been stopped they can't change it back without going through process of MR
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Very strange, usually they would send out another form so you could at least fill it in and return it. 
  • con137411
    Options
    I'll just have to hope out for the best I guess, ive written to my MP as this is directly going to affect all my finances till this issue is resolved, I dont know how much help they can do 
  • con137411
    Options
    does anyone know of any other forums where I may get some help?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    What other help do you need? PIP need to send you another form and and you need to fill it in and return it. Until  this happens I don’t know how they will reinstate your award. 
  • con137411
    Options
    anyone else who has been in this situation if not receiving a form in the first place giving me their advice would be a big help. I know you're saying pip need to send me another, but they're not even sending me another form out. They're treating it as a closed claim and only offering mandatory reconsideration n and I have to wait 8 weeks for decision, knowing the backlog this will probably take the full 8 weeks. 
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,049 Pioneering
    Options

How awful :/

Any documents you have about your previous (if it is now previous - it may not be) PIP award will help you prove entitlement. 

They've made it all up and need to rectify this without you doing anything.  

• Bananas
    Bananas Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    con137411 said:
    anyone else who has been in this situation if not receiving a form in the first place giving me their advice would be a big help. I know you're saying pip need to send me another, but they're not even sending me another form out. They're treating it as a closed claim and only offering mandatory reconsideration n and I have to wait 8 weeks for decision, knowing the backlog this will probably take the full 8 weeks. 

IMHO, it might be worth you contacting your MP and asking them to help ?
  • con137411
    Options
    I’ve done exactly that! Hopefully they respond before the 8 weeks haha!
  • con137411
    Options
    Just don’t know  what I’m expected to do with my finances until then 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.