If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Received Christmas Bonus in December 2023 but didn't receive usual letter notifying me

Options
Asia23
Asia23 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
I have been in receipt of PIP daily living for a number of years.  Every year, in December I receive the £10 Christmas Bonus.  It was deposited into my account as usual in December 2023.  However, the letter the DWP send out every year to say I am to receive the Christmas bonus never arrived.  I am wondering, have others received their letter?  Should I be worried? Have they stopped sending Christmas bonus letters out?

My PIP award is due to end in November this year, and I was expecting to be sent the AR1 review form a year ahead (last November).  Does everybody get a text to say the review process has begun?  Worried about my claim getting cancelled if I don't receive the review form.  My PIP payments have been going into my account as expected so far.

Comments

• Nashota
    Nashota Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the letter honestly, as long as you received the £10. I can't remember if I received a letter or not.

From what I've read on here they contact you 8 months before your current award is due to end, mine ends in April 2025, so I should hear something in August 2024. I think you may hear something in March if I've worked that out correctly?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They still send the letters as always. I received mine. However, you said you already received the £10 so do you really need the letter to tell you you’re entitled to it when you’ve already received it? No, you shouldn’t be worried because you already received the money. 

To be honest, I don’t understand why they send the letters anyway because usually they arrive after the money goes into your bank. 

Reviews for PIP are usually about 8 months before your award is due to end. Your decision letter will say they will contact you sometime after X date, so not necessarily a year before. You should receive them sometime next month. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Asia23
    Options
    They still send the letters as always. I received mine. However, you said you already received the £10 so do you really need the letter to tell you you’re entitled to it when you’ve already received it? No, you shouldn’t be worried because you already received the money. 

To be honest, I don’t understand why they send the letters anyway because usually they arrive after the money goes into your bank. 

Reviews for PIP are usually about 8 months before your award is due to end. Your decision letter will say they will contact you sometime after X date, so not necessarily a year before. You should receive them sometime next month. 
    Thanks Poppy for confirming they still send the letters out as you received yours.  I agree it seems like a waste to do so given I usually receive the money before getting the letter.  However, I have always received the letter so for me not to get one for the first time ever did cause a little concern, in spite of the money being received.

I am just anxious because I am due for review and have had no AR1 form yet or text to say the review process has begun.  My award letter tells me I will be reviewed after 10th November 2023, a year ahead of the award end date.  But, as you and @Nashota say, I should expect something 8 months ahead of my award end date.. so if I don't receive the text in March, then I will phone up to chase it.  It's just the fact of not getting my Christmas bonus letter that makes me anxious that review correspondence may not get sent out as it should.  Hence my post.  

Thank you for your reassurance.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Not receiving the bonus letter is irrelevant to your review. I’m confused why you think it is. 

You received the payment so the letter to say you’re entitled to it isn’t needed. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Asia23
    Options
    Not receiving the bonus letter is irrelevant to your review. I’m confused why you think it is. 

You received the payment so the letter to say you’re entitled to it isn’t needed. 
    Sorry for any confusion Poppy.

I received the bonus in December but not the letter.  I have had the letter every year without fail.  Perhaps it has got lost in the post. I wasn't unduly worried because I received my money. 

How it relates now to my concern for my review is that my review is now due.  If for the first time ever, I haven't received normal correspondence from DWP PIP as has happened with regard to my Christmas bonus (I have been in receipt of PIP for 8 years), then naturally I am concerned to be alert to not receiving  correspondence about my review.  After all, you received the Christmas bonus letter and I didn't, even though we both got paid.  If review correspondence has been sent out to me and not received by me, then the first I will ever know about it is if my PIP payments stop, i.e. a cancelled claim.  I don't want to find myself in that position. 

Helpfully you have indicated that it is likely my review will be initiated 8 months before my award ends in November this year.  So, thank you for reassuring me my missing Christmas bonus correspondence is not an issue.  I expect to receive a text to notify me next month to say an AR1 review form is on its way, unless not everybody gets a text. 

I understand there is something called the PIP automated line.  It tells you when you are next being paid, so I've read.  I have never called it.  Don't know the number.  Maybe I could do that just to reassure myself my PIP is still in payment?  Sorry, but I have intense anxiety around review time for my award, just as everybody does.  And I want to be prepared.  Thanks for your help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Ah yes, I’m with you now you’ve explained it. Letters do get lost sometimes. You can ring to check they have your correct address.

The automated payment line is the usual helpline number and choose option 6 but please be aware it has been known to give incorrect information. I’m sure everything will be fine because as you said you’ve been receiving your money without issues. 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Telephone: 0800 121 4433
    Textphone: 0800 121 4493
    Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 4433
    British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
    Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

If it helps my PIP ends on 28th June 2024. On 30th October 2023 I had a text to say my review has started and to expect the forms in the post within the next couple of weeks. That was 8 months before my award is due to end. 

• Nashota
    Nashota Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    I know that feeling, I have mixed mental and physical health conditions and I find it very overwhelming, the last 2 times I needed to have PIP and ESA reviews (not together about 2 years apart) I had anxiety attacks.

I don't know the number I'm afraid.
  • Asia23
    Options
    Ah yes, I’m with you now you’ve explained it. Letters do get lost sometimes. You can ring to check they have your correct address.

The automated payment line is the usual helpline number and choose option 6 but please be aware it has been known to give incorrect information. I’m sure everything will be fine because as you said you’ve been receiving your money without issues. 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Telephone: 0800 121 4433
    Textphone: 0800 121 4493
    Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 4433
    British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
    Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

If it helps my PIP ends on 28th June 2024. On 30th October 2023 I had a text to say my review has started and to expect the forms in the post within the next couple of weeks. That was 8 months before my award is due to end. 

Thank you, Poppy.  You must be in the middle of the review process now, then.  Hope it works out for you and you aren't waiting too long for an assessment or a paper-based decision.

I called the PIP Enquiry line 0800 121 4433 you provided.  However, the route to getting the automated payment line information has changed.  When you first call, you press '1' if you want to talk to someone in English.  On the next menu provided, press '5' for anything else.  On the next menu, press '3' for anything else.  Then it rings and you are put on hold to speak to an advisor.  Don't hang up.  Stay on the line.  Before putting you through to an advisor, it takes you through security (D.O.B, Mobile Number, Last 4 digits of bank account, last PIP amount etc).  After that, before putting you through to an advisor, it gives you the next payment amount and the next payment date.  You then press '1' if you want to continue to speak to an advisor.  Or, press '2' to end the call (as I did).  

Happily my next payment is at the next expected date for the next expected amount, so my PIP is still in pay.  Very reassuring.

So, to recap: press '1', then '5', then '3'.  Go through security.  Then the automated payment information is provided.  Press '2' to end the call.

Have a lovely day and thanks again for your help! :)
  • Asia23
    Options
    Nashota said:
    I know that feeling, I have mixed mental and physical health conditions and I find it very overwhelming, the last 2 times I needed to have PIP and ESA reviews (not together about 2 years apart) I had anxiety attacks.

I don't know the number I'm afraid.
    Hi @Nashota

I know, the anxiety can be so overwhelming.  That's why I find being prepared as I can helps.

I got through to the automated line and everything is ok.  I'm still being paid.  Poppy kindly gave me the number.

Thanks for your reassurance.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Yes still waiting for a decision. Most people have assessments so I’m not expecting a paper based review this time. I had one for my last review in 2021. If I have another it’s a bonus. 

Ah yes, I should have known that because I rang them last week for a change of address but wasn’t really concentrating at the start because all the information they give takes about 5 minutes. I was almost falling asleep by the end of that 😂
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The letters can be hit and miss 2023 I got mine OH didn't, 2022 she got hers I didn't, be a good way to save postage and paper if they stopped sending them full stop.
    Bears no relationship whatsoever to any review date.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.