Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

PIP: Hello, I’m new here! Worried about PIP timeline.

Options
OlliePopsxx
OlliePopsxx Community member Posts: 15 Listener
edited February 15 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi guys,

I hope everyone is well.

I’ve been a silent reader to all your pip questions since I first applied on the 28th Nov 2023. 

I really just need some support as I’m going out of my mind with panic and anxiety.

Brief bit about me: I’m 53yrs and had to leave work back in 2020 due to ill health with lumber and cervical degenerative disc disease and GAD. 

Over the past 3-4yrs my condition with my spine has worsened and can no longer climb stairs, get properly dressed or cook food, so I plucked up the courage to apply for pip.

Applied by phone 28/11/23
Sent online application through on 2/12/23
DWP text 4/12/23 “we have received your application”
DWP text 2/1/24 “a healthcare professional is looking at your claim”
IAS text 4/1/24 “you have a phone assessment on the 6th Feb”
DWP text 8/2/24 “we have received your assessment”

Pretty quick so was really happy.  The assessment though was awful, I was a blubbering wreck, couldn’t see my notes through the tears and runny nose, forgot to expand on everything I was asked, though she did “prompt” me a few times.  

I came off the phone and have hardly slept since.  I decided not to ring for my report…..until today…..as I didn’t want to add to my stress as I’ve read so many people’s reports have been fabricated and full of lies. So, after 56 mins of waiting to get through, I asked for my report 😩 

I’m now more terrified than ever 😢 the guy was lovely, he did say that my report was passed over on the 9th but they are dealt with in date form, but the knot in my stomach is horrendous and I feel physically sick.  Why should applying for something feel like this?

I just wondered if anyone here is roughly on the same timeline as me and whether anyone has any of their experiences to help me through this….

Thank you for reading this far 😊

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,302 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you’ve been reading threads here, I’m sure by now that you will have seen that we don’t advise to request the report because of the increased anxiety it very often causes. 

When you do receive it please remember that it’s not the decision, it’s a recommendation only. Whilst they mostly go with it, it has been known for them to go against it. 

Timescales for decisions once the report was returned is up to 12 weeks. Once a decision is made you will be contacted. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OlliePopsxx
    Options
    Hi Poppy123456

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I know, that’s why I’ve tried so hard all week not to, but it’s killing me inside so much I caved in. 

It’s the worst experience I’ve ever had, and I can relate to so many people on here.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,782 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @OlliePopsxx and welcome to the community.

I hope the anxiety doesn't get too bad for you? I can totally empathise, I found the assessment and the waiting to be the worst parts, so you're over the worst now.  I'd recommend anything to take your mind off things for a bit.

We do have the lovely Coffee Lounge if you wanted to chat to the lovely folk here, or you could check out the Games Lounge if you wanted some little games. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • azam
    azam Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    Hey ollie, I know how you feeling am exactly in same boat as you.

waiting on my pip decision, my report went to dwp on 6th feb so 2 days before you, still no decision yet. 
    Am keeping my fingers crossed it will be next week I hear something. 

The waiting is getting me depressed. No sleep am constantly looking at my phone every morning for text. 
  • OlliePopsxx
    Options
    Hi Azam!

I’m totally with you, my phone hasn’t been out of my sight since.

Did you have a telephone assessment? How do you think it went? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,148 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @OlliePopsxx and @azam - fingers crossed for you both!

I know it's easier said than done but please try not to worry too much. I know waiting can really affect the mood, but we're here if you want to talk and as Albus said earlier in the discussion, the coffee lounge is great if you need a bit of distraction! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • OlliePopsxx
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope thank you so much 😊 I just can’t control the worry and anxiety 😟 
  • Topforbo
    Topforbo Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Options
    I had my review assessment on 23rd January and got the text to say my review was complete on 1st February followed by the decision letter on 9th February.  I don't know if the process is the same for new awards but just less than 3 weeks for a review 
  • OlliePopsxx
    Options
    Hi @Topforbo thank you for your reply! My text said 8 weeks but I know a few people have said they got theirs earlier, some a few days, some 2-3 weeks.

It’s making my anxiety disorder worse all this. I’ve sent for my assessment but not received it yet, although it’s only a guide, it will give me some information to help me. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 
  • azam
    Options
    Hi Azam!

I’m totally with you, my phone hasn’t been out of my sight since.

Did you have a telephone assessment? How do you think it went? 
    Yes Ollie I had a phone assessment, hope you get your report on Monday, mines came in 3 days. 
    Just waiting anxiously for decision. Hearing other people in our timeline got their decision. 
    I just can’t cope atm, been sleeping to pass time, it’s like the time is going slow. 
    Just want to know my decision then can calm down 
  • azam
    Options
    Hey guys an update!! Just received text now! I’ve been awarded pip !! 😃
  • OlliePopsxx
    Options
    @azam that’s fantastic news 👏🏻👏🏻 I’m so pleased for you!!! Thank you for letting me know, I’m waiting anxiously to see if it comes in the post 😩 was your report true to your assessment and did the DM agree with the points in the assessment?
  • azam
    Options
    @azam that’s fantastic news 👏🏻👏🏻 I’m so pleased for you!!! Thank you for letting me know, I’m waiting anxiously to see if it comes in the post 😩 was your report true to your assessment and did the DM agree with the points in the assessment?
    Thanks Ollie 😃 
    hopefully you will hear your decision this week, since our timeline is 2 days apart. 
    Praying for you. I know the anxious feeling. 
    Keep us updated. 
  • azam
    Options
    And yes DM agreed with the decision got standard for both 
  • OlliePopsxx
    Options
    @azam thank you 😊

Just received my report 👀

Recommended 12 points for mobility which is what I was hoping for 🤞🏻

9 points for daily living, which I think should have been 12 😟

I know the DM can add or remove points so I’m staying hopeful.

The report read well, just a couple of niggles saying in her opinion I can do x,y and z, when the full report says I can’t so I’m a tad confused but hey ho!

Let’s wait and see.

I’m so pleased for you as there are so many horror stories so it’s great you’ve had a positive experience and outcome 😊

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,631 Scope online community team
    Options
    Fingers crossed for those extra couple of points from the Decision Maker @OlliePopsxx! But it's great you got your mobility points! Keep us all posted.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • OlliePopsxx
    Options
    @Rosie_Scope thank you so much 😊 she wrote that she considered the 20-50 metres but said in her opinion I couldn’t do it reliably. Will make a massive difference to my life to get those 12 points, but I’m still a nervous wreck waiting 🤦🏼‍♀️
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.