Who arranges your blood test? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who arranges your blood test?

Options
rebel11
rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,653 Pioneering

Who arranges your blood test? 25 votes

The GP surgery arranges the appointment, you just have to go to the appointment
48% 12 votes
The GP gives you a number, you have to arrange your own appointment
24% 6 votes
Something else
28% 7 votes

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    At my current GP surgery they arrange it for you and it's all done on site, but with others I've been given the form and told to either drop in somewhere or make an appointment to go and have it done. 

I've been with a fair few different surgeries over the past few years and it seems to vary a lot between them all.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have my pharmacy do my blood tests. Sometimes when quite unwell, she will come to my home to do them, but that does cost. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Always done at GP's surgery
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 480 Pioneering
    Options
  • rebel11
    Options
    We are given a number to ring, that number is busy or else as previously cuts you off every 5 minutes. Then my surgery is telling me to go that surgery to book it in person, total garbage.  

I've complained, then my surgery were told to sort it out.

But the surgery got their own back at me, when I went to collect something they kept me waiting intentionally. The Practice Manager called over another admin to talk to her for about 10 minutes. 

It's a bit of a strange surgery, their recorded message actually tells you to 'call 999 if you are unconscious', they clearly know something the world doesn't.   
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    That's awful @rebel11, doesn't sound like a good process at all. But I have to say that last line made me giggle. I will be sure to call myself an ambulance when I'm next unconscious.

Is your surgery the only one in your area or do you think there's somewhere else you could switch to? Or is it mostly just the admins and bloods process that aren't so good?
    Rosie (she/her)

• rebel11
    edited February 17
    Options
    I've been there a very long time, but I'm not sure 'patient care' is there No.1 priority. It seems to be 'can we make things easy for ourselves' then go in that direction. They did 'blood tests' for a month, some years ago. If they were 'patient' caring surgery, they would have carried on doing it.  
  • rebel11
    edited February 17
    Options
    If you became 'unconscious' in the surgery they would just stand there and hand you the phone so you could dial 999. Outrageous. 

I'm thinking outside of the box, a plastic tube from my house to the test lab, dig up all the roads in between to accommodate that, it will be cheaper then HS2, only downside is that it will only benefit me.  :D  

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @rebel11 Unless we take your idea and everywhere there is a postbox? maybe? there is a plastic tube. 
    Hannah - She / Her

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

My GP has done them when I have been unwell.
     But this past year there has been a new system in place. the GP sends details of what blood tests Im needing to the Phlebotomy dept.
     Then I ring for an appointment and go to the nearest Health Centre to get them done.

• rebel11
    edited February 18
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope

If you hear in the news that a man has been arrested for dismantling a Post Box, you know where to send the 'bail' money.  :D

• rebel11
    edited February 18
    Options
    The 'ringing' up to book your own appointment can't be right, especially with all the 'technology' out there. 
  • rebel11
    Options
    What about 'Leech or Us', my only concern is what happens to the leeches once they have completed their single mission. :o      
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Our GP surgery is completely useless as well, the only way of booking an appointment is on the phone, they won't make appointments in person or online. If you are lucky enough to be able to use the phone, you have to call at exactly 8.00am, and it takes 90 minutes to get through, by which time they inform you that all appointments are gone and to try again at 8.00am tomorrow or go to A&E if it's an emergency!

A relative drove around the M25 to the other side of London for 2 hours to get a blood test because the local GP was so useless!
  • rebel11
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Our GP surgery is completely useless as well, the only way of booking an appointment is on the phone, they won't make appointments in person or online. If you are lucky enough to be able to use the phone, you have to call at exactly 8.00am, and it takes 90 minutes to get through, by which time they inform you that all appointments are gone and to try again at 8.00am tomorrow or go to A&E if it's an emergency!

A relative drove around the M25 to the other side of London for 2 hours to get a blood test because the local GP was so useless!
    It's bad, this is such a 'basic' thing, NHS care, the surgery use to do this for you. It's going 'backwards'.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree @rebel11

My Dad recently needed an annual checkup as he is on certain meds and, by some miracle, managed to get the golden ticket that secured him entry into the exclusive club A.K.A. our local GP surgery. When he was in there it was entirely empty of patients except for him. No one in the waiting room, no one at reception, all consultation rooms had the doors open and all empty. This was at peak time of day as well.

When we phone up and are told all appointments are gone within minutes of the surgery opening we expected it to be jam packed and bustling, but after witnessing this, the excuse that all appointments are taken doesn't wash with us anymore, perhaps it's more like they don't create any appointments in the first place?
  • rebel11
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I agree @rebel11

My Dad recently needed an annual checkup as he is on certain meds and, by some miracle, managed to get the golden ticket that secured him entry into the exclusive club A.K.A. our local GP surgery. When he was in there it was entirely empty of patients except for him. No one in the waiting room, no one at reception, all consultation rooms had the doors open and all empty. This was at peak time of day as well.

When we phone up and are told all appointments are gone within minutes of the surgery opening we expected it to be jam packed and bustling, but after witnessing this, the excuse that all appointments are taken doesn't wash with us anymore, perhaps it's more like they don't create any appointments in the first place?

When Covid was at it's peak, the surgery's operated by distancing patients, so things are normal as they can be, but the surgery's are operating in the same 'vain', as if they are in full blown Covid times.   
    Surgery's have adapted work practices that suit them, not in the interests of patients.  
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @rebel11 I have bail money? :D 
    Hannah - She / Her

• rebel11
    edited February 21
    Options
    @rebel11 I have bail money? :D 
    @Hannah_Scope What took you so long?, pacing up and down a 6 ft by 6ft cell is no fun and only copies of the Readers Digest to read!! :#

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.