Universal Credit impossible to claim

jodieh
jodieh Community member Posts: 7 Listener
So I’m a single mum working a full time job during the day and I go out to clean in the evenings self employed. I pay an accountant yearly to do my self assessment as they’re qualified ones who know what expenses can be claimed for eg. Allowable expenses such as percentages of bills, travel, car. It’s impossible for me to migrate as UC want me to submit all this on a monthly basis. If we could do this then accounts would be out of a job surely. Then they want me to sit down qtrly with a self employment coach (probably a 22yr old on minimum wage who is not a chartered accountant). So I’ve been left with no option than not to claim, I was only getting £50pw but that covered my child’s food now I’m without. I work over 46hrs a week and haven’t got time to sit down doing accountancy work weekly to upload on a journal. Fed up of this government making it difficult for us hard working people claiming a little bump up. Yet they make it so easy for drug dealers to have indefinite claims based on mental health. I’m so angry, I work hard, own my own home and pay tax into the system. So UC can keep their £50pw and I’ll up my working hours, whilst Rishi Sunak and the CEO of DWP goes home of an evening and sits at the family table for meals, we hardworking people don’t get to spend quality time with are children as life is not sustainable anymore with rising costs. I’m fed up of the U.K., DWP should be making it difficult for people than can work but choose not too, instead they’re making it hard for working people living in poverty. SHAME ON DWP. (Sorry but I really felt the need to rant)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,491 Championing
    When self employed you are expected to report your earnings and expenses on the last day of each assessment period on a cash in cash out basis. It certainly doesn't replace the need for an accountant. See link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-self-employment-quick-guide/universal-credit-and-self-employment-quick-guide

I don't know about drug dealers but please don't compare those that have health conditions that have no other option but to claim benefits such as UC or any other benefits for that matter.

I have quite a few health conditions and I would absolutely give anything to be well and healthy enough to be able to work but sadly that isn't going to happen. I really does make me so angry when people "have a go" at others like this. Please have some thoughts for those that simply can't work. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,906 Championing
    Hello @jodieh

I'm sorry to hear you are going through such a tough time. I do echo sentiments here about the comments on those with mental health issues and drug dealers. It's a shame to see when the media use people who are also going through difficult times, be used as scapegoats. And have that social view.

Can I ask, have you spoken to the accountant or looked at the benefit calculators or the take home pay calculator for when changes with the minimum wage increase come in in April? 
  • jodieh
    If you re read my post I said drug dealers with mental health, that’s is the basis they claim on to scam the system not to work. I didn’t mention any other individual with mental health as I suffer with mental health myself being on tablets for over 5yrs. I was purely venting my frustration over how difficult it is to claim.
  • TheManFromLondon
    TheManFromLondon Community member Posts: 330 Empowering
    edited February 19
    jodieh said:
    Yet they make it so easy for drug dealers to have indefinite claims based on mental health. 
    What now? I will assume on the high peak of being reluctant, bored and feeling too entitled to NOT provide asked information about your income, you messed up what you wrote here. Too many errors in a single paragraph.

Yes, you have to provide proof you should be paid ANY amount from the welfare.

Please educate yourself about mental health, and people struggling with addiction, before joining a disability forum.

Some people.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,916 Online Community Coordinator
    Hi @jodieh welcome to the community. I can understand the frustration here, it's tough to have to jump through so many hoops to get the top ups you need. The income reporting can feel relentless, especially when you're already going through so much, so I can sympathise with your anger about how difficult it is to survive these days. We all need to vent sometimes.

That said, while there will always be some people who don't want to work and are scamming the system, they are in the minority and this is often exaggerated by the press to make people blame anyone other than the departments themselves. That small number is still frustrating for genuine claimants, but it can make others feel targeted when things like this are brought up, especially when so many people with mental health issues like yourself have struggled to get the help they need. It's quite a sensitive issue for many of us in the disability community. 

I know it's all totally out of frustration about your own situation, which sounds really difficult to deal with, and I'm sorry you've been going through so much. But I just thought I'd try to explain why others may react negatively to this part of your post.

For all of us reading and posting, just a reminder about the house rules. It's fine to disagree on things and express your views, but please keep it civil and supportive when you do :)
  • jodieh
    Thanks Rosie, I appreciate your kind response. I’m frustrated as I pay a chartered accountant yearly £375 to do my books, I just hand him all receipts, expenses and travel etc and he files myself assessment. With Tax credits I was able to use my actual not estimated earnings to ensure I was paid the correct amount so I didn’t end up with an overpayment.
  • poppy123456
    Tax credits are completely different to UC. It was based on your previous years income. UC is based on earnings received each month. 

Having an accountant has nothing to do with a UC claim. Unfortunately, when claiming means tested benefits like UC then you have to go through the same process as many other people. 
  • jodieh
    What now? I will assume on the high peak of being reluctant, bored and feeling too entitled to NOT provide asked information about your income, you messed up what you wrote here. Too many errors in a single paragraph.

I can 💯 assure you I have not messed up, I pay an ltd accountancy company to sort out my self assessment. 

Your accusation is libel.

• jodieh

Having an accountant has nothing to do with a UC claim. Unfortunately, when claiming means tested benefits like UC then you have to go through the same process as many other people. 
    It has everything to do with having an accountant. They want me to calculate my expenses/profit/loss. I cannot work out my allowable expenses such as percentage of car, utilities, mobile etc if I knew how to do all of that I would be an accountant not a cleaner. Well thank you to this forum for contributing to mental health, you really know how to put someone who is already in a dark place struggling financially into a deeper state of depression. What’s the point of living when the people of this world are so cruel. I came for support but i got the opposite. Sorry the majority took offence at my post as it was not intended.
  • bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 198 Empowering
    You can just do simplified cash basis accounts instead of working out the more complicated things as well. Keeping a straight forward record of money in and out shouldn't be too onerous. I am sure there is a simple app out there that would do it for you quite easily then your accountant can reconcile everything and add more complicated items at year end in order for you to do your tax return if necessary.

I used to be self employed and dreaded the switch to UC because of the extra record keeping too but my son is self employed on UC and it seems quite straightforward, one of the few things I don't have to do for him. As it happened I became too disabled to continue to work before I was forced to switch but I shouldn't have wasted all that mental headspace worrying about it anyway.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,182 Online Community Coordinator
    Hi @jodieh, I'm sorry to hear this has effected your mental health. Can I just ask if you have anyone who can support you? A friend or relative? If you're worried about your mental health, I recommend speaking to the Samaritans on 116 123. I'll pop you an email shortly. 

As Bookrabbit has said, you can just do a simple cash basis for your report, that's not a problem at all. 

and lastly, I can see things were getting a bit heated, so if everyone can make sure they familiarise themselves with out community house rules, it'd be most appreciated. 
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,973 Championing

Hi jodieh, I'm sorry that your first experiences with UC and Scope were challenging. I can tell you that both happened to me and I overcame both as I'm sure you can. The benefits have been huge. Most people here are helpful, considerate and supportive as you rightly expected. 

Three months' worth of UC is £650 for you and is surely worth claiming? They don't want every detail just evidence of your earnings. Overestimate if you're worried about an overpayment. 

It's no longer easy for anyone to claim benefits. The entire system is undergoing transformation and I assure you that most claimants struggle to make and maintain their UC claims. That's the trade off for payment and I hope you do make a claim rather than increase your working hours. 

• poppy123456
    WhatThe said:

Three months' worth of UC is £650 for you and is surely worth claiming? They don't want every detail just evidence of your earnings. Overestimate if you're worried about an overpayment. 

There's always less chance of an overpayment when claiming UC because entitlement is based on a month to month basis. Unlike Tax credits where it was based on the previous years income. 

UC was never going to be favourable to those that are self employed, unless they are either a carer or have gone through the work capability assessment and been found to have either LCW or LCWRA. If either of those apply then the minimum income floor won't apply, which does happen to some people after the first 12 months of their claim.