Reclaiming UC and LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reclaiming UC and LCWRA

Options
Spike1776
Spike1776 Community member Posts: 42 Connected
Since I closed. my claim due to money I received being over the limit.Ive been advised now that I could reclaim UC and this though is making me ill thinking about it,firstly if I reclaim within six months will my LCWRA continue,I think I read here it does.so,secondly what if it doesn’t is there anything I can do of the bat.it’s worrying me silly as I can’t work or attend interviews due to bi polar,BPD and social anxiety,please could someone advise me,thank you so much.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,553 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If it’s been less than 6 months since your UC ended then you can log into your journal and make a rapid reclaim. Your LCWRA element will then continue.

If it’s been more than 6 months then I’m afraid it will be a new claim and you will need to go through the work capability assessment again. Which means you will need to report your health condition and provide fit notes.

If your UC claim ended because of capital of more than £16,000 then you maybe asked to provide bank statements as part of your claim. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Spike1776
    Options
    If it’s been less than 6 months since your UC ended then you can log into your journal and make a rapid reclaim. Your LCWRA element will then continue.

If it’s been more than 6 months then I’m afraid it will be a new claim and you will need to go through the work capability assessment again. Which means you will need to report your health condition and provide fit notes.

If your UC claim ended because of capital of more than £16,000 then you maybe asked to provide bank statements as part of your claim. 
    Thank you,yes it’s been less than 6 months and they are welcome to see statements as I have nothing to hide.Do you know as I reach state pension age this time next year if UC and LCWRA end for good?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They won’t only be looking to see what you have left, they will be looking for what you actually spent the money on. If you paid off debt with the money this is fine as paying off debt isn’t treated as deprivation of capital. 

If you’re a single person when you reach state pension age your UC will end. You will need to claim your state pension. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Spike1776
    Options
    @poppy123456

I see it was approx £22,000 of which £3,000 went on debt and what takes it well below £16,000 is living expenses,rent,council tax  replacing broken cooker and replacing a very old bed just general spending really I hope they don’t think buying a cooker is deprivation of capital.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Replacing old warn items is unlikely to be treated as deprivation of capital. If you have more than £6,000 of capital there's a £4.35/month deduction for every £250 or part thereof over that amount. 

For council tax reduction all local authorities have their own rules and some have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 when there will be no entitlement. You will need to look at your local authorities website for information. 
  • Spike1776
    Options
    yes poppy I understand that and will have to foot the bill for full council tax payment less the 25% discount I receive,that takes another approx £1100 of my capital,it doesn’t go far does it? 
  • Spike1776
    Options
    made made a big mistake recently made a new claim Feb 19th and put £18000 savings by mistake and not £13000 so claim closed again as not entitled to UC.I phoned them and told them it was a mistake and due to my condition I lack the ability to concentrate on what I’m doing.they told me if I wanted to claim again I would have to start again and make a new claim.does that mean my LCWRA is null and void if I make yet another claim? that would be two claims within 6 months.I should have had someone help me fill in the form but went it alone like an idiot.

yes,you can address me as idiot I deserve it.

thanks in advance.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Just make another claim. Don't be so hard on yourself, we all make mistakes.  :)
  • Spike1776
    Options
    Thanks poppy123456 so will LCWRA still stand then?
  • Spike1776
    Options
    Also why does it now say I would have to provide evidence to support my claim when last time they did not,what evidence are they talking about?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Spike1776 said:
    Thanks poppy123456 so will LCWRA still stand then?
    Yes, if it's within 6 months, which you said it was in a previous comment, which wasn't long ago. 

Spike1776 said:
    Also why does it now say I would have to provide evidence to support my claim when last time they did not,what evidence are they talking about?
    That will be because you said you have £18,000 in capital when you recently reclaimed. It's likely to be bank statements. 
  • Spike1776
    Options
    Thank  you poppy123456

yes this will be the second claim well within 6 months

ill wait until I visit my sister before I submit my claim she is good at spotting mistakes 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome.  :)
  • Spike1776
    Options
    well what do I know I made a claim for UC today well within six months of each other and I had to go through the whole new claim process,they are asking for fit notes after 7 days now all the stress starts again,not sure if I can go through all that pain again,LCWRA taken away for making a mistake on a claim not long ago.

what if anything can I do?

thanks.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    This is likely to be standard procedure asking for a fit note. Make sure you tell them that you were already found to have LCWRA in your last claim. Tell them the date your claim ended the last time too, as that will help.

Did you keep a copy of the decision letter you received for the work capability assessment? If so then send a copy of that to them. 

It may also take them a few weeks to add the information to your claim that you were found to have LCWRA. 

Having said all that, what date did your claim end due to savings?
  • Spike1776
    Options
    @poppy123456

i have kept the decision letter and my claim ended December 9th 2023

i have also put a note on my journal explaining that I have been awarded LCWRA

and as it’s a indefinite award until reassessment it should continue as LCWRA is awarded to the claimant and not the claim per say.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then yes, it should definitely continue. It's most likely just one of the formalities that they ask for a fit note when you start a new claim. Glad you kept the decision letter so there shouldn't be any issues going forward. 
  • Spike1776
    Options
    @poppy123456 I hope not this old heart won’t take much more Lol

and thank you for the encouragement  :)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm sure everything will be fine and you're welcome.  :)
  • Spike1776
    Options
    yikes they move fast I have a commitments meeting on Wednesday 13th they’ve totally ignored my messages about my LCWRA decision letter on my journal.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.