UC & Disability new manifestos — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC & Disability new manifestos

Options
TerryG
TerryG Community member Posts: 27 Connected
Afternoon Ladies and Gents,I have a question for everyone,how are you going to vote regarding the election and each parties manifesto on Disability.

There are major changes coming regards Disability,some are for some are against.

Are you going to vote for the Party who has your best interests regarding their way of going forward with a new regime,or does your health needs come further down the list.

I have read both of their "proposed" new ways forward,there are pros and cons in both,I have decided i will be 100% selfish and do what is best for me when voting,how are you going to vote?.

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    edited February 19
    Options
    I'll be interested to read what they have to say about disability in the manifestos once the general election is announced, and some of my view will be based on what the parties have said and done over the last few years too. Where I live is a pretty safe seat though, so I'll have to consider all the pros and cons once the election gets closer.

Do you think a general election is on the cards sooner rather than later, @TerryG?
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,702 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No manifestos will be published until about a month before the actual election, as for who I will vote for Labour of course have done since 1979, the Tories are well I cant say what I think of them here.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• TerryG
    TerryG Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Both Tories and Labour have made comment on what they propose to do in 2025 regarding LCWRA,for myself the Tories proposals are better,I don't see either party deviating to far from what they have proposed.
  • wkd
    wkd Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Options
    TerryG said:
    Afternoon Ladies and Gents,I have a question for everyone,how are you going to vote regarding the election and each parties manifesto on Disability.

There are major changes coming regards Disability,some are for some are against.

Are you going to vote for the Party who has your best interests regarding their way of going forward with a new regime,or does your health needs come further down the list.

I have read both of their "proposed" new ways forward,there are pros and cons in both,I have decided i will be 100% selfish and do what is best for me when voting,how are you going to vote?.

Labour for me, can't wait to get the Tories out I am very excited about the prospect so the General Election cant come soon enough for me. Bye bye Tories.
  • jamrumples
    jamrumples Community member Posts: 112 Connected
    Options
    Can someone explain how the tories are effectively doing more for the disabled than Labour? I’m not very clued up, please excuse my ignorance, I’m just genuinely curious because I always thought Labour were the much more compassionate party. 
  • wkd
    Options
    Can someone explain how the tories are effectively doing more for the disabled than Labour? I’m not very clued up, please excuse my ignorance, I’m just genuinely curious because I always thought Labour were the much more compassionate party. 
    https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/labour-pledges-to-scrap-tory-plans-to-tighten-fitness-for-work-test/  This is all I can find on Labours pledges, but it's better than Conservatives and their draconian principles, if they stayed in power it 
  • jamrumples
    Options
    Thankyou for the link, if they stayed in power it would what? Get worse for us? No doubt. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,566 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thankyou for the link, if they stayed in power it would what? Get worse for us? No doubt. 
    I don't usually comment on threads like this but I can't think of anything worse than the Tories staying in after the GE. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've said before, I personally vote Labour. I'll be interested to see what all parties put in their manifestos!

I do always try to remember that a party can be in power for as little as 4 years. So, although there are huge long-term goals I would want to see, I do always weigh up what is best for me in the short term. As, for example, a party may come along and offer something the majority of the public would want but to do so not be able to keep the support needed for my disability. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 5imply_Ted
    5imply_Ted Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Options
    It’s a shame the SNP don’t stand candidates outside Scotland as they are by far the most fair minded and sympathetic party towards those unable to work and on low income due to illness and disability.
  • wkd
    Options
    It’s a shame the SNP don’t stand candidates outside Scotland as they are by far the most fair minded and sympathetic party towards those unable to work and on low income due to illness and disability.
    We all need to move to Scotland.  Joking aside I have even thought about that, its seems to be a fairer and more caring place to live.
  • wkd
    Options
    I can catergorically say yes it will. The Tories have always had the stance to look after the rich and make the poor work until they are in their graves, it's a bit like Master and Serf mentality. I lived through the Thatcher days, they were targeting single parents and young people then and there was vast unemployment, riots etc. I jumped for joy when they lost their seat and saw an improvement when Blair got into power, however, I did feel he was also lining his pockets as all MPs seem to do, but there was an improvement with child tax credits and help towards nursery fees and the whole country seemed happy until the 2008 crash, its been a rapid decline since then.
  • woodbine
    Options
    There is virtually zero chance of the Tories winning the GE they have been 20 points behind Labour for 18 months now in the opinion polls, Labour will probably also do well in Scotland as the SNP's days are numbered.

• jamrumples
    Options
    Well, if that’s the case, with the points then I hope and pray that the kafesto from Labour is what we all hope it is. 
  • 5imply_Ted
    5imply_Ted Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Options
    Liz Kendall Labour DWP Shadow Secretary is a hawk and will make cuts to benefits and will justify it by shoving ill people into jobs they can’t manage, calling it progressive. Then she’ll cancel the bedroom tax and shout “aren’t I caring!”.
    Unfortunately Labour are trying to appease red wall and wealthy Tory voters by cutting taxes and paying for it with welfare cuts which is why Kendall won’t even commit to the annual inflation rise.
    sorry, rant over!
  • Spike1776
    Spike1776 Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Options
    I’ll not be voting either of the two main parties I’m voting reform U.K. this time I feel we need a change and one change is paramount proportionate representation I hope we get that soon.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Spike1776 said:
    I’ll not be voting either of the two main parties I’m voting reform U.K. this time I feel we need a change and one change is paramount proportionate representation I hope we get that soon.
    Thats great news as every vote for reform uk is one less for the Tories and one step closer to a Labour govt.
    People often talk about PR but are then unsure what form that would take, it's a recipe for permanent coalition govt.

• Spike1776
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Spike1776 said:
    Thats great news as every vote for reform uk is one less for the Tories and one step closer to a Labour govt.
    People often talk about PR but are then unsure what form that would take, it's a recipe for permanent coalition govt
  • Spike1776
    Options
    @woodbine

i always think differently before an actual election but when the time comes I vote Tory 

I might come up with some more mad ideas tomorrow my mind changes right up until the day Lol

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.