LCWRA and a joint UC claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA and a joint UC claim

Sophs50522 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Hi, if my partner moves in with me I will have to change my UC over to a joint claim which would resulting in closing down my current claim. Will I need to re apply for LCWRA again ? I am currently in receipt of this.

Thank you 


  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    I believe there can be only one LCWRA element in a joint claim, can I ask, does your partner also claim LCWRA ? 
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sophs50522
    Sophs50522 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    No he doesn't. He works full time, but would I need to re apply if it goes over to a joint claim
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,127 Disability Gamechanger
    You do not need to reapply because you’re already claiming UC. 

    You need to report a change of circumstances when your partner moves in with you and tell them. You will then be sent a linking code.

    Your partner will also need to start a claim for UC their self and use the linking code to join both claims together. You will then keep the same assessment periods and payment date.

    Please note, when you go from single to joint claim all your journal entries will be cleared so please keep a copy of the work capability assessment decision letter just incase they don’t include the LCWRA element once it’s a joint claim. 

    Whether there’s any entitlement to UC will depend on your joint circumstances. If your partner has capital of more than £16,000 it will mean there’s no entitlement for both of you and your UC will end. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.