New calculation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New calculation

jj65 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me as I don't know who else to ask.
I am my son's carer, he has ASC and ADHD and is currently non verbal aged 9. He receives the high rate care DLA.
I also have the same diagnoses myself.

Last year my husband and I separated (son's Dad) and he moved to a rented property - the stress of having a child with such high needs and my own health issues have not been easy on our marriage.
As I can't work, for the first time I applied for UC and receive the LWCRA element with this.

Hopefully it looks like my husband will be moving back home within the next couple of months so I know I will need to add him to the UC claim.
His wage after tax is £3000 per month.
Does anyone know if the LCWRA for myself will still be paid to me or will all benefits be removed (except my CA) given my husband's income?

Many thanks in advance 🙏🏻


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,293 Disability Gamechanger
    LCWRA is part of UC and isnt a benefit on its own. This means if his earnings means your UC is reduced to zero then the whole claim will stop. 

    When your husband moves back in he will need to start a claim for UC as well. You will need to report a change of circumstances and tell them you’re now living with your partner. You will recto linking code to join both claims together. Entitlement will then be based on your joint circumstances. 

    You can use a benefits calculator and put both your details into it to see if there’s any entitlement.

    Are you also aware that the carers allowance your claiming is just deducted in full from any UC entitlement so there’s no financial gain to claiming it while claiming UC. 

    As you’re claiming the LCWRA element for yourself it means you can’t receive the carers element at the same time. When your husband moves back in, if there’s any entitlement to UC, you can stop your carers allowance and he will be able to claim carers element for looking after your son. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.