Admitting it exists is hard to do — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Admitting it exists is hard to do

Options
wanderer
wanderer Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
Seven years I have been struggling. That is hard for me to say out loud to the world. Other than my missus I have hidden it from everyone else. I never wanted to give it the space as it makes it more real, but I could do with some people around me who get it.
I dont allow it to stop me, I hike, a lot, I keep active. But it batters my body and mind.
I am finding it hard at the moment to start my days positively when every morning I wake up in agony.
Anyway, this is my first post on here, so thanks for reading. 
Lets see where it takes me. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,875 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @wanderer Welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive forum, have a look around and join in when you are ready. If you have any questions please ask. There are always members to chat to on the forum who will be able to relate to how you are feeling. Take care. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    edited February 22
    Options
    Hi again @wanderer and an official welcome to the community from me too.
    As Beaver79 has rightly said, it's a lovely group of supportive people here, so if you ever want to talk about things more, we're all here to offer support. Sometimes just typing things out can be a huge weight off your mind if you're already struggling.  
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • wanderer
    Options
    Thank you @Beaver79 and @Albus_Scope it is nice to find somewhere that people I am ging to connect to will understand. Although as a therapist it is slightly unnerving being on the other side. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,119 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wanderer - & welcome to the community from me also. I can relate, as I have daily chronic pain, & yes, it can be a fight, but I manage not to give in to it (mostly). I'm also a long-retired physio, & often say I do the exercises I used to teach, as I'm also on the other side of the fence now! What sort of therapist are you?
  • wanderer
    Options
    Good evening @chiarieds
    I worked in mental health for 20 years and a counselling practice alongside for 12, also taught meditation and mindfulness to people. Nature, walking and meditation are my therapies. But sometimes I want to ignore all I know and curl up. But I don't very often. I've only ever spoken to my other half about it, so finding a place where I can I will be good for me. 
    Therapists are the worst at taking their own advice.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,119 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's good to 'meet' you @wanderer - that's really interesting work; I must admit I'm with you....I should really pace myself, but it was the last thing I 'gave into,' even knowing it can help! I still don't use it as much as I should. I do use gentle exercise, distraction, & mindfulness too. I haven't got the hang of meditation, but do use diaphragmatic breathing to aid relaxation, reduce stress & pain, in fact I find it's difficult to remember how to breathe 'wrongly!'
    You might be interested in this post, & please also contribute to it if you wish: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/102784/resources-and-tips-for-those-living-with-chronic-pain

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    Options
    A friend is a therapist and you're totally right @wanderer, they do tend to be terrible at following their own advice.  But I'm very glad you have nature to help you decompress and we're all here for support or a chat if you need us. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • wanderer
    Options
    Good morning @chiarieds nice to meet you too. Thanks for the link I will check it out when I get back later. I am always open to learning new things, so I will look forward to learning what other people use to help with pain.  
    Thanks for the support @Albus_Scope its good to know. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.