If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal letter

Options
Carlosos
Carlosos Community member Posts: 37 Connected
Got my letter from dwp stating that I can have some points (instead of 0) but not enough to reach any threshold. Me being cynical I think these meaningless points were given so they look more reasonable. That being said they took no notice of what I said and seemingly made there points up from thin air. 

The courts have ask i send in any further evidence but really there isn’t anything or anything to argue as my evidence hasn’t been refuted or acknowledged. 

I can send some more examples of difficulties with the 12 points but even the dwp fella said my examples are fine. Not sure if I need to send more? 

I’m finding it really hard not to go on the attack on dwp practices when I know I should be focussing on the 12 points. 

Advice would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Carlosos
    Options
    So just to be clear this was the dwp response to me requesting a tribunal. I’m now just waiting for the tribunal date. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whether more real world examples are needed will totally depend on what information you actually gave in those examples. 
    Carlosos said:

I’m finding it really hard not to go on the attack on dwp practices when I know I should be focussing on the 12 points. 

That's not really something I'd ever advise anyone to do. What you need to do is concentrate on the weakness in your evidence, not the strength of theirs. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Carlosos
    Options
    Whether more real world examples are needed will totally depend on what information you actually gave in those examples. 
    Carlosos said:

That's not really something I'd ever advise anyone to do. What you need to do is concentrate on the weakness in your evidence, not the strength of theirs. 
    I will stop myself from that it’s just hard as they have been so obtuse. 

I am not sure what my weaknesses are as they haven’t refuted or argued against any of my points or evidence. 

For example. I told them I can’t walk more than 20 meters. They called me to discuss everything and we discussed this further. I made clear that was my limit and the reasons why. On the response to my tribunal request they have upped it from 0 points to 4 as they have said I can walk between 50 meters and 200. There is no reason given for this. No arguing against my evidence that’s just what they have chosen. I am not sure how to argue against that as there is no info whatsoever. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You don't need to argue against what they have said. You need to prove that you qualify for those points. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Carlosos
    Options
    You don't need to argue against what they have said. You need to prove that you qualify for those points. 
    I have but they haven’t said anything else back to my proof. I’ve said I can’t do something and they said I can with no reason. 

What am I supposed to say to that? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You don't need to do or say anything. You just need to prove you qualify. If you've only recently requested the Tribunal then you'll very likely have a considerable wait so plenty of time to write your submission, if needed. 
  • Carlosos
    Options
    You don't need to do or say anything. You just need to prove you qualify. If you've only recently requested the Tribunal then you'll very likely have a considerable wait so plenty of time to write your submission, if needed. 
    I appreciate your help but thats what I’m saying I’m 3 stages deep and now going to a tribunal and I have no clue if my evidence is sufficient. I meet the criteria as I’ve read the descriptors and understood what’s needed to meet them based on dwp “rules”. 

I know the answer and I think I’m just frustrated with how vague the responses have been from dwp. I guess it’s just the way it is. The answer is we arnt supposed to understand what it means, we are supposed to operate blind and leave it to dwp to decide. 

Because this is such a big deal to me and my family I really want to get it right. I just don’t know if I should respond with more examples of difficulty’s completing the 12 points or just leave it and answer the tribunals questions when I go. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Most MR decisions don't change so that's not unusual because only 23% of decisions change in the claimants favour at that stage. 

There's more chance at Tribunal, providing you either appear in person or have a telephone/video hearing. Then there's a 68% chance of success. Paper based hearings are much less favourable and only about 5-8%.

You really need to put everything DWP have said or not said in this case to one side and concentrate on your evidence. This includes the real world examples. 

Please also be aware that the Tribunal will only take into consideration how your conditions were at the time the assessment took place. Any worsening of conditions since then will not be taken into consideration. 

Sorry, I can't advise whether you need more examples because I don't know what information you wrote in those examples. 
  • Carlosos
    Options
    Carlosos said:

I know and I’ll stop myself doing it it’s just hard when they are so obtuse. 

I’m not really sure what my weaknesses are because they haven’t contradicted and argued with any evidence I’ve given they’ve just ignored it and put what they want with no justification. 

For example. Ive told them I can’t walk more than 20 meters and we discussed this during the telephone conversation. I know I gave no contradictory information to this but somehow they have put I can walk between 50 and 200 meters. There is no reason for this given in any of there evidence or letters, that’s just what they have chosen to put. I am not sure what I am supposed to say to that? 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Carlosos

I am so sorry to hear you have been in such a stressful situation with your claim. I see Poppy is giving great advice, I just wanted to check you have support around you? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Carlosos
    Options
    Hello @Carlosos

I am so sorry to hear you have been in such a stressful situation with your claim. I see Poppy is giving great advice, I just wanted to check you have support around you? 
    Hi Hannah. Yes I have my family Thankyou. Having health issues is tough enough but turning this experience into a battle is a pain. Poppys advice has benn really helpful. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.