Hi, my name is mary989! Are CoL payments disregarded for capital? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is mary989! Are CoL payments disregarded for capital?

Options
mary989
mary989 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited February 22 in Universal Credit (UC)
Cost of living payment 
Hi there . My query is about cost of living payments.I’m on universal credit.  I have read that these payments are disregarded when working out capital. My capital is over £6000 but was under 6000 when I got these. Universal credit do not agree with me 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,245 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @mary989 and welcome to the community. :)

You are correct and CoL payments are not taxable and should not affect any benefits or tax credits you receive, as it counts as a 'capital disregard' 

Taken from the parliament website;
     "The government is making Cost of Living Payments to
    claimants on certain benefits including Universal
    Credit.
    The Cost of Living Payment is disregarded for
    Universal Credit capital purposes indefinitely "
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • mary989
    Options
    Hi @Albus_Score yes I had done some research and agreed with what you say . I’ve had this conversation with them on the phone. The guy I was speaking to asked his manager and they said no . They said they were going on guidance . My capital was about £4000 and I’ve just declared some money that has put me over £6000. 
    They said that they could only disregard it if I was at present under £6000 .
     I’m not sure how to handle this ? 
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 316 Pioneering
    Options
    UC on the phone are basically call centre staff and have been known to give out wrong advice.

I'd put a note on journal instead personally.
    Saying that without CoL payments your capital is now over 6000, but under when deductions for CoL are made. 
  • mary989
    Options
  • mary989
    Options
    @Kimmy87 it’s difficult to know what category to choose to put a net on my journal . It’s all changed now, last time I used the journal I was able to just put a note on it 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @mary989 Have you asked on your journal which category you should choose? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.