Thinking about going back to work but anxious — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thinking about going back to work but anxious

Options
crow95_
crow95_ Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone, 

Ive been in receipt of ESA support group for the past 8 or so years now. I’ve been doing permitted work for the last 2 years to try and get into a routine of going to work.

Originally I got placed onto ESA due to mental health issues and due to going through a traumatic event around about the time I made my claim, I feel that my mental health has improved significantly since the start of my claim although I still suffer with anxiety. However, I got diagnosed as autistic over 4 years ago, which made it hard to find suitable employment due to most environments being pretty overstimulating. 

Anyways, I have an interview this coming Wednesday for I job I feel like I may be able to tolerate doing, but it’s still filling me with anxiety. 

I’m worried about the possibility of coming off ESA and realising this job isn’t suitable for me, and will in turn make me unwell. 

I’ve seen people be advised to maybe migrate onto UC while they still have their ESA support claim as it will automatically give them the limited capacity for work rate and with there being no rules around how many hours you can work, you just get a working allowance and every £1 over this allowance your UC will get deducted by 55p. Because at least then, if people do find they are unable to carry on with the new job they can just quit and don’t have to go through the process of applying for UC and doing a medical assessment since your already on it.. it gives you that sense of security incase things don’t go as planned

this true and reliable? I worry I’d try to migrate over and this doesn’t hold true 

The thought of going back to work fills me with anxiety but it’s more so because of the not knowing how it will pan out, and because I’ve relied on ESA all my adult life so I haven’t had a full time job, other then the permitted work I do which obviously isn’t full time. 

I am also in receipt of access to work currently, so I’m hoping if I do get a new job it’ll be easy enough to be reassessed for new adjustments that I would need for the new job 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What you've read is correct. You can claim UC before starting work and then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element of UC from the start of your claim. There's no maximum amount of earnings you can receive while claiming UC. 

The work allowance, if you claim for help with the rent it will be £379/month, if you don't it will be £631/month. Any earnings received each month outside of those amount will reduce your UC by 55%.

Good luck with the interview!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @crow95_

Welcome to the community and good luck with the interview! <3 Please keep us updated. 

I see Poppy has advised about UC. I work and claim the LCWRA element because of my disability. Like you have found, it does give you a sense of security. Especially when I have to take time off sick or for appointments. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.