Income Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Income Help

nancywheeler Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello everyone. Could somebody please give me some help RE income. My husband is going into a job that is full time - income after tax is £1892 or their abouts, I am currently on UC in the work related activity group. We have 3 children. He was job seeking for sometime and finally got himself out there. Could somebody please tell me what if any top ups we are entitled to. Where my UC will come into this? Or if we will be penalised, I’m no good at the calculator so if anyone could break this down for me I’d appreciate it.  We currently claim housing benefit but will this change? How will this affect us. Many thanks. 


  • nancywheeler
    nancywheeler Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Note to add - housing benefit is £520 - council tax band D. Thanks again. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,298 Disability Gamechanger
    You will be claiming UC as a couple, if you live together.

    You will have the work allowance which means you or your partner can receive a certain amount of earnings each month before the 55% deductions apply. 

    As you’re claiming for help with the rent then your work allowance will be £379/month. Which means for every £1 over that amount your UC will reduce by 55p. 

    You won’t be penalised as such because you will still be better off overall by your partner working but your UC will reduce because of his earnings. 
    With his earnings of that amount your UC will reduce by £832/month. However, it will depend on how often he gets paid because UC is based on earnings received each month so the more he earns the less UC you are entitled to. 

    Your rent will be paid as part of UC known as housing element and not through housing benefit unless you’re either living in temporary or supported housing. 

    Once he starts working then he will need to make sure he reports a change of circumstances on his journal to tell them he’s started working. 

    If you’re also claiming council tax reduction then you will need to report the changes to your local Authority as your CTR will need to be recalculated. Whether there’s any entitlement will depend on your joint circumstances. As all local Authorities have their own rules I will not be able to advise with that. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nancywheeler
    nancywheeler Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    This was super informative thanks so much for this. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @nancywheeler

    Just wanted to comment and welcome you to the community! :) Also to pass all the best on to your partner with their new job! 
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.