Hi, my name is paulajune! Will UC count my husband's company income as personal income? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is paulajune! Will UC count my husband's company income as personal income?

Options
paulajune
paulajune Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 27 in Universal Credit (UC)
I’m new on here and need advice on migrating to UC from tax credits finding it it really stressful, myself and my husband are both carers to our teens with additional needs and work part time.
can anyone help please 
Is it correct that UC will count my husbands limited company income as his personal income although it’s not, we both are paid a wage from the company. If this is true we will not be entitled to UC and will loose £170 per week from what we received in tax credits and working tax credits. 
Can anyone help or advise please 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 27
    Options
    You will be treated as self employed which you will need to report when you claim UC. The wages that you pay yourself will be treated as earnings each month.

The assets in the company will be disregarded and will not count towards your UC entitlement.

As self employed you will need to attend a gateway appointment at your local job centre. If found to be gainfully self employed you will need to report your earnings and expenses on the last day of each assessment period. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • paulajune
    Options
    Thank you Poppy
    what about regular income into the company there’s numerous rents monthly from property owned by the company per month and then also income from any work done by the company. It’s all so confusing 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don’t know if you see my comment after I edited it. As self employed you will need to report earnings and expenses on the last day of each assessment period. There’s some information here that may help.  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-self-employment-quick-guide
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • paulajune
    Options
    Thank you I’ll take a look x
    thank again 
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @paulajune, looks like you're already well on your way to getting some answers, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the community.

I'll pop your post over to our Universal Credit section in case you need some more support :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • paulajune
    Options
    Thank you Rosie yes please it’s so confusing and stressful more advice or help would be very appreciated thank you 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.