Friend stuck in doors — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Friend stuck in doors

Options
wandering_chris
wandering_chris Community member, Scope Member Posts: 72 Courageous
As you may know because of the hate crimes and ASB my friend is facing he's now a shut-in. Any tips on how he can conquer isolation and stay fit and healthy? You may think given he's had experience of isolation during the pandemic it should be easy, right?

However, he tells me to be stuck in (albeit for his safety) whilst everyone has their freedom is getting to him. Any ideas?

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this @wandering_chris Apologies if I have asked this before, have they reached out to their local MP about this? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • wandering_chris
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this @wandering_chris Apologies if I have asked this before, have they reached out to their local MP about this? 

His MP is helping, but that still doesn't change that he feels under siege where he is. :(
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad to hear he has local support. I would encourage him to speak to someone to help him with any anxieties. SHOUT is an amazing 24/7 texting service. 

I was housebound by my illness which I know is a different situation. But I found that when building on interests, I had to leave my house for them. Is there anything your friend is interested in that has an event or something maybe smaller to start getting them out? Like as an example, going to pick up a book at a bookshop? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • AutumnBreeze
    AutumnBreeze Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Options

His MP is helping, but that still doesn't change that he feels under siege where he is. :(

I know this is an old post, but i'm in a similar position to your friend.  Housebound due to ASB and threatening behaviour, which has had a devastating effect on my MH.  I'm unable to take my daughter to school due to the school being right by the perpetrators house and being too scared to go anywhere near it - school have been helping by picking her up and dropping her off this week but they are getting frustrated, and no way can I get myself to walk down that road, it's just not an option.  I also don't have anyone else who can take her - no friends or family in the area, all of the family members we do have  (which is very few) are too ill/disabled themselves to be able to help and OH can't take her because he was abused at the same school as a child himself so he can only manage to get her to the end of the street.  I've been the only one able to take her since she started school (I wasn't aware of OH history with the area until about 4-5 years ago, when he was attacked and mugged, and a blow to the head retriggered the memories for him).  DD is 8 with SEN so can't take herself to school either.  I would happily take her to a school away from this area and we are trying to get help to move out of the area, but it's a painstakingly slow and frustrating process and is literally breaking me, another school in the area isn't going to help, because as I said we NEED to move from the area, and with her ASD/ADHD, she won;t cope with moving to a new school for a short time and then moving again shortly after.  I'm absolutely terrified of what's going to happen.  I've been begging for help to move out of the area for 4-5 years before any of this happened, but now it's got to crisis point, and the only one who seems to understand the situation is the GP (I've got my figures crossed he can see through the anxiety, and is going to advocate for us).  The only way I can leave the house is if I go miles out of the area and go nowhere near the street(s) the perpetrator lives in; and I can only do this occasionally because when I'm out I struggle to come back here.  I hate it here.  This ASB is on top of a lot of other traumatic experiences we've had since living here, so you can see why we are so desperate to leave.  I'm racking my brains for a solution to this mess.  I'd be willing to consider homeschooling in the interim, but I have a feeling they aren't going to let me do that.  We really need to move from this location ASAP, it's the only solution.   Anyone any ideas that I may not have thought of??
  • wandering_chris
    Options

I know this is an old post, but i'm in a similar position to your friend.  Housebound due to ASB and threatening behaviour, which has had a devastating effect on my MH.  I'm unable to take my daughter to school due to the school being right by the perpetrators house and being too scared to go anywhere near it - school have been helping by picking her up and dropping her off this week but they are getting frustrated, and no way can I get myself to walk down that road, it's just not an option.  I also don't have anyone else who can take her - no friends or family in the area, all of the family members we do have  (which is very few) are too ill/disabled themselves to be able to help and OH can't take her because he was abused at the same school as a child himself so he can only manage to get her to the end of the street.  I've been the only one able to take her since she started school (I wasn't aware of OH history with the area until about 4-5 years ago, when he was attacked and mugged, and a blow to the head retriggered the memories for him).  DD is 8 with SEN so can't take herself to school either.  I would happily take her to a school away from this area and we are trying to get help to move out of the area, but it's a painstakingly slow and frustrating process and is literally breaking me, another school in the area isn't going to help, because as I said we NEED to move from the area, and with her ASD/ADHD, she won;t cope with moving to a new school for a short time and then moving again shortly after.  I'm absolutely terrified of what's going to happen.  I've been begging for help to move out of the area for 4-5 years before any of this happened, but now it's got to crisis point, and the only one who seems to understand the situation is the GP (I've got my figures crossed he can see through the anxiety, and is going to advocate for us).  The only way I can leave the house is if I go miles out of the area and go nowhere near the street(s) the perpetrator lives in; and I can only do this occasionally because when I'm out I struggle to come back here.  I hate it here.  This ASB is on top of a lot of other traumatic experiences we've had since living here, so you can see why we are so desperate to leave.  I'm racking my brains for a solution to this mess.  I'd be willing to consider homeschooling in the interim, but I have a feeling they aren't going to let me do that.  We really need to move from this location ASAP, it's the only solution.   Anyone any ideas that I may not have thought of??

I understand 100%

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.