Looking for a door closer device — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for a door closer device

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,607 Pioneering
I am looking for some way of pulling our living room door closed behind me from my wheelchair.
But this doesn't look long enough and costs too much (£40) for a simple piece of plastic (Why are disabled people ripped off ?) and can't stick so well to a raw wood door...
The door opens inwards (like the external door in the picture) - and when opened wide enough to allow my wheelchair through (over 90 degrees) - I struggle to pull it closed behind me - using a grabber !!
I tried a cord - tied around the handle - but it slips off.
Any more suggestions ?

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @wibbles

Can I ask, as you mentioned the cord slips off, have you got a bar style handle?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    edited February 28
    Options
    Would something like this on Amazon work? Edited, as I can't get the link to work. Copy this onto Amazon instead, it's £9.99...

Automatic Spring Door Closer, Adjustable Door Spring Closer for Interior Door, Quiet Auto Door Closing for Door Weights 20-35kg, with Adjusting Rod and Screws (White)

I am supposed to be getting auto door openers & closers through the adaptations team, once I get to the top of what is proving to be a very long list. 

Until then, I go & turn the wheelchair round, then close the door. It's a faff, but does for now.

• Wibbles
    Options
    Hello @wibbles

Can I ask, as you mentioned the cord slips off, have you got a bar style handle?
    Yes it is 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Our door handles look like this..

• Wibbles
    Options
    JessieJ said:
    Would something like this on Amazon work? Edited, as I can't get the link to work. Copy this onto Amazon instead, it's £9.99...

Automatic Spring Door Closer, Adjustable Door Spring Closer for Interior Door, Quiet Auto Door Closing for Door Weights 20-35kg, with Adjusting Rod and Screws (White)

I am supposed to be getting auto door openers & closers through the adaptations team, once I get to the top of what is proving to be a very long list. 

Until then, I go & turn the wheelchair round, then close the door. It's a faff, but does for now.

Thanks but the door weighs a lot more than 20-35kg - it is a fire door with a steel core - it probably weighs close to 50kg !!
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    In that case, @wibbles, you aren't supposed to put holes in them. 
    Do you have an OT? If so, contact them & they should be able to do something for you or sort something with the adaptation team.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I wondered if you could find something like the t-bar handle (that wasn't £40! - you are right about disabled people being ripped off) I thought could it stick to the metal part of the handle? 

Or even a small hook to tie a cord so it doesn't slip off? and it doesn't affect the handle? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    JessieJ said:
    In that case, @wibbles, you aren't supposed to put holes in them. 
    Do you have an OT? If so, contact them & they should be able to do something for you or sort something with the adaptation team.

We own the property so OT / adaptions team will not help......
  • Wibbles
    Options
    I wondered if you could find something like the t-bar handle (that wasn't £40! - you are right about disabled people being ripped off) I thought could it stick to the metal part of the handle? 

Or even a small hook to tie a cord so it doesn't slip off? and it doesn't affect the handle? 

I can pull the door closed but not turn the handle ...... using my grabber !!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Aaah I get you now! Would a handle extender help? Wondering if the material is easier for your grabber and it's a longer handle? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.