Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for a door closer device

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,642 Pioneering
I am looking for some way of pulling our living room door closed behind me from my wheelchair.
But this doesn't look long enough and costs too much (£40) for a simple piece of plastic (Why are disabled people ripped off ?) and can't stick so well to a raw wood door...
The door opens inwards (like the external door in the picture) - and when opened wide enough to allow my wheelchair through (over 90 degrees) - I struggle to pull it closed behind me - using a grabber !!
I tried a cord - tied around the handle - but it slips off.
Any more suggestions ?

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @wibbles

Can I ask, as you mentioned the cord slips off, have you got a bar style handle?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    edited February 28
    Options
    Would something like this on Amazon work? Edited, as I can't get the link to work. Copy this onto Amazon instead, it's £9.99...

Automatic Spring Door Closer, Adjustable Door Spring Closer for Interior Door, Quiet Auto Door Closing for Door Weights 20-35kg, with Adjusting Rod and Screws (White)

I am supposed to be getting auto door openers & closers through the adaptations team, once I get to the top of what is proving to be a very long list. 

Until then, I go & turn the wheelchair round, then close the door. It's a faff, but does for now.

• Wibbles
    Options
    Hello @wibbles

Can I ask, as you mentioned the cord slips off, have you got a bar style handle?
    Yes it is 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Our door handles look like this..

• Wibbles
    Options
    JessieJ said:
    Would something like this on Amazon work? Edited, as I can't get the link to work. Copy this onto Amazon instead, it's £9.99...

Automatic Spring Door Closer, Adjustable Door Spring Closer for Interior Door, Quiet Auto Door Closing for Door Weights 20-35kg, with Adjusting Rod and Screws (White)

I am supposed to be getting auto door openers & closers through the adaptations team, once I get to the top of what is proving to be a very long list. 

Until then, I go & turn the wheelchair round, then close the door. It's a faff, but does for now.

Thanks but the door weighs a lot more than 20-35kg - it is a fire door with a steel core - it probably weighs close to 50kg !!
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    In that case, @wibbles, you aren't supposed to put holes in them. 
    Do you have an OT? If so, contact them & they should be able to do something for you or sort something with the adaptation team.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I wondered if you could find something like the t-bar handle (that wasn't £40! - you are right about disabled people being ripped off) I thought could it stick to the metal part of the handle? 

Or even a small hook to tie a cord so it doesn't slip off? and it doesn't affect the handle? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    JessieJ said:
    In that case, @wibbles, you aren't supposed to put holes in them. 
    Do you have an OT? If so, contact them & they should be able to do something for you or sort something with the adaptation team.

We own the property so OT / adaptions team will not help......
  • Wibbles
    Options
    I wondered if you could find something like the t-bar handle (that wasn't £40! - you are right about disabled people being ripped off) I thought could it stick to the metal part of the handle? 

Or even a small hook to tie a cord so it doesn't slip off? and it doesn't affect the handle? 

I can pull the door closed but not turn the handle ...... using my grabber !!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Aaah I get you now! Would a handle extender help? Wondering if the material is easier for your grabber and it's a longer handle? 
    Hannah - She / Her