Is carers allowance backdated?? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is carers allowance backdated??

Options
nikkif
nikkif Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
My mum has been caring for me for years but was always under the impression that family members couldn't be in receipt of carers allowance I've now found out otherwise just wondered if it would be backdated to when your pip award started from when you were in need of the criteria of care needs and eligibility?? Many thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unless it's a new recent award then it can only be backdated for a maximum of 3 months. Whether there's any entitlement will depend on her circumstances. If she works and earns more than £139/week then she will not be entitled. 

Does she claim any benefits herself? If so which ones exactly?

Do be aware that if you are claiming Severe disability Premium in another benefit and she claims carers allowance for looking after you then your SDP will stop. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nikkif
    Options
    Thanks poppy mum is actually just on state pension no credit element and I don't clain sdp as I had to move in with parents due to extra care needed 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As she's claiming her state pension then because they are treated as overlapping benefits then she can't be paid carers allowance if her state pension is more than £76.75/week. Instead she will have an underlying entitlement to it. 

It could mean there's some entitlement to Pension Credit but it will depend on her circumstances. She still needs to claim carers allowance to have an underlying entitlement to it. She can use a pension credit calculator to see if there's any entitlement. Make sure she ticks the box where it asks if she's a carer. pension-credit-calculator

Please note, there's no credit element of state pension, this will be Pension Credit. If she lives with a partner that's under state pension age then she won't be able to claim Pension Credit, unless she's already claiming it because they will be known as a mixed aged couple. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nikkif
    Options
    Thanks for your advice Poppy. Wow that all seems quite complicated but I will try the tool and see how it pans out. I suppose the worst that can happen is a rejection. I just think that my poor ma is spending so much time and energy looking after me in my 40's when this is the time I should be looking after her the least I can do is give her something. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.