Going back to uni after 3 years out due to my disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going back to uni after 3 years out due to my disability

Options
SE9St8
SE9St8 Scope Member Posts: 19 Courageous
Hi everyone  :)

I've been out of uni for 3 years due to my disability aka my chronic illness, which I got 4 years ago.

I made the tough decision 3 years ago to take a break from uni, hoping I'd go back soon, but it hasn't worked out that way and now I'm on my final year I can intermit my studies (because of their policy- which I already challenged and got this 3rd year extra out), aka take a break from. I have to have handed my work in by August at the very latest and start in September (as I took my break part way through the year).

Honestly, I've done hardly any work. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and also dissociative non-epileptic seizures, chronic pain, tachycardia, use a walking stick, have bad mental health all daily because of my chronic illness. Also, even before this I had 4 learning difficulties to contend with anyways, so I've always had to work twice or even 3 times as hard as everybody else.

What I'm trying to say is I need some advice from anyone who's been on an education break, or maybe even career break, on how the heck to get back? and any tips :)

I know it's a rather impossible challenge, as I can barely do anything I used to be able to do anyways without bad burn out, aka lack of spoons, but I really want to do my final year, because it means so much to me 💙

Thank you everyone 💙

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,081 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @SE9St8, it's great to hear you're wanting to continue your studies, but I totally get sometimes uni isn't set out for people who often lack the spoons to get everything done.
      My top tip is to be gentle with yourself, there's a lot going on in your life and I found uni took a certain mindset, which took a while to kick in as I was so out of practice with structured learning.  So just take your time with things and understand if things don't go as planned, it's totally ok to get a new plan going. The university is there to help you, so don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.