If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment last Thursday (29th February)

Options
Hedgesparrow
Hedgesparrow Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi everyone, I had my PIP assessment last Thursday and found it deeply stressful and traumatic. It's such a horrible damaging process - and the long and unpredictable wait is just another excruciating part of the torture :(
There doesn't seem to be any way of taking your mind off it either - I applied for PIP in mid-November and have felt worried and tormented ever since. 
I applied for PIP hoping to receive some help to cope with the profound effects and difficulties caused by ASD/ADD.
I read the descriptors carefully, and think my difficulties should result in enhanced daily living and mobility, but I was so upset during the assessment that I don't think I was able to explain myself adequately. My husband handled the initial application phone call back in November for me, (I spoke only briefly to give my consent) as I really struggle with telephone conversations. My daughter intended to be with me for the assessment appointment last Thursday which was scheduled for 3 o'clock. At 2 o'clock the phone rang - number withheld - so I knew it was the independent assessment service and picked up (I don't normally speak on the phone to anyone apart from family) - the lady asked if I could do the assessment in 20 minutes? My daughter wasn't with me, but I wasn't sure if I could refuse, so I reluctantly agreed. 
By the time the phone rang 20 minutes later I was completely overwhelmed with anxiety and panic. The first questions concerned my role as Carer for my 83-year-old mum who lives with us, and then moved straight to the fact that I have just started a University course (Creative Writing via distance learning - which I had to fight with SFE to get funding for) - I cried and was struggling to speak through most of it (1 hour in total). The whole thing felt so demeaning, and with the approach of the assessor, I don't feel very hopeful about the outcome. Forty-five minutes later I got a text from DWP to say they had received my assessment report. 
I have taken note of all the excellent advice here regarding whether it's a good idea to request the report, but with my assessment being so traumatic/feeling disastrous - I decided it would be better to get a copy of the report so I can get better prepared for the likely decision. I'm guessing MR and then tribunal...
Anyway please keep your fingers crossed for me :))

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,546 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Hedgesparrow, thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry it was so traumatic, it can be a really stressful process, but well done for getting through the phone call. I'll be keeping everything crossed that it's a good result for you!  
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Hedgesparrow
    Hedgesparrow Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Rosie!
    Thanks also to all who share their journeys here - the sense of community and support is priceless, and the success stories offer hope and a reason to persevere despite the awful process. Seeing others timelines is helpful too, in terms of managing expectations during the lengthy waiting periods. I don't yet know the outcome of my assessment - but following the example of others here, I fully intend to fight to the end if the decision goes against me. 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.