Who do I notify if one of my kids leave the house — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who do I notify if one of my kids leave the house

Adam7 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 7 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm currently receiving PIP and housing benefits paid. My son is in full time work and is about to leave the nest. Who do I inform and how will this effect my benefits?. Thank you.


  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 2,705 Scope online community team
    Hi @Adam7, welcome to the community :) 

    Your PIP won't be affected at all. How do you get your housing support though? Is it through Universal Credit or are you on the separate housing benefit?
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,243 Disability Gamechanger
    If it's housing benefit through your Local Authority that you're claiming then it will be them you will need to inform. Whether that will affect your housing benefit will depend on your circumstances.

    If you're privately renting and were claiming a bedroom for him then you will lose that bedroom entitlement. 

    If you're renting from social housing and now have a spare bedroom then you will be affected by the bedroom tax, which is 14% for 1 bedroom. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.