Should Arts Council Develop your own practice funding be declare to UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should Arts Council Develop your own practice funding be declare to UC

regreg Community member Posts: 3 Listener

I've been awarded DYCP funding (develop your creative practice /l arts council)

How do I declare this to UC and is it considered income?

The funding is for me to be able to pay myself while I focus on my creative practice, to pay mentors to work with and to pay for other expensive over the next year with the end goal of developing my practice. 

How do I go about this? I believe it's not taxable income as it's to develop myself so I would assume it's not counted. However, as part of the money is to pay myself, I have no idea ah!


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,242 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm afraid I do not know the answer to this. My advice is to either get some expert advice or report what you're claiming to UC and let a decision maker make the decision. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,206 Scope online community team
    Heya @regreg, I'm afraid I don't have the answer to your question, but I wanted to say congratulations on the funding, that's amazing news! 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
  • maxflacko
    maxflacko Community member Posts: 1 Listener

    Hey, congratulations! I think it's untaxable as it's coming sort of from a charity, but you can just call the Arts Council and ask them this as a "hypothetical question," if you get what I mean. They will be able to answer you. You could even call anonymously and use a different name.

    When did you find out about the grant? I also applied but haven't seen any email in my inbox yet. Another question, what did you apply for in particular and for what amount?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.