General tiredness — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

General tiredness

Options
Andy1966
Andy1966 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi everyone, I have suffered with mental illness nearly all of my life. The worthlessness, triviality and fragility of life. The insomnia is terrible, the tiredness and low self esteem. I also was an unpaid carer for my mother for 23 years. IM TIRED. I worked for 26 years with young people in a school, even though sometimes it was very stressful, it made me think I made a difference to some of their lives, especially the students with physical disabilities I worked and cared for. Grown adults in their 30'S who I taught and supported, come and talk to me and still call me Sir !! It's getting harder though, just recently retired because my health isn't as good now. Take care everyone, Andy.

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Andy1966 Welcome to the Community. Thank you for telling us your story. You are a very caring and supportive person and have helped people all your life. Perhaps it is now time for you to care for yourself. This is always difficult as we very rarely put ourselves first. Do you still manage to get out and  about and mix with people? 
    Have a look around and join in when you are ready. If you have any questions please ask. Take care.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey @Andy1966, thank you for sharing. I'm sorry things are getting so draining for you, I understand how a lack of sleep can really affect your mental health negatively. I agree with Beaver, you've always helped people, now maybe it's time to let others help you? 
    Have you spoken to your GP about your mental health issues and the insomnia? Do you have anyone there to support you? Any friends or family? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Andy1966
    Options
    Hi again, yes have had counselling and CBT, all of the sleeping tablets you care to mention, nothing helps with the sleeping. I'm kind of resigned to it now. The depression is too deep inside me now. I wish for a bit of peace before my time is up. I have contacted the Samaritans before, I'm not in danger at the moment. I'm just very tired.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    I'm glad you've spoken to Samaritans in the past @Andy1966, I'm just wondering if another chat with your GP to highlight the depression may be a good call? I know how insidious and draining it can be.
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Andy1966
    Options
    Done all of that, thank you for your kind thoughts.
  • luvpink
    luvpink Community member Posts: 82 Pioneering
    Options
    @Andy1966
    Hi Andy just dropping in to say hello and welcome.
    I am also extremely tired and exhausted.
    I do have trouble sleeping.
    I tend to listen to a bit of music to relax at night.
    Take care.
  • Andy1966
    Options
    Morning, luv pink. I have tried listening to music, white noise, rain etc, still can't sleep well. After about 6 months my body does shut down and I do sleep, it's not good quality sleep though, it's a necessity to stay alive, I guess. Take care.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Morning @Andy1966 has your GP looked into referring you to a sleep clinic? My family all suffer from terrible insomnia and the sleep clinics have offered some great advice. I'm getting a princely 5 hours of sleep on average now. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Andy1966
    Options
    Afternoon, the doctor did once mention the sleep clinic, but then said there is a years waiting list!!
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Typical! Well, I'd say next time you speak to your GP, it'd be worth getting on that wait list.  :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Andy1966
    Options
    Thank you for your very kind comments and advice.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.