If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Let's have a Debate

Options

Comments

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Options
    The issues of child poverty, school meals, childcare, and the role of grandparents are complex. It is indeed concerning to read about parents who struggle to provide meals for their children, despite the availability of free school meals and breakfast clubs in certain areas. There could be several reasons for this, including lack of awareness about these programs, stigma associated with receiving free meals, or the possibility that some families may not qualify for these benefits due to their income levels being just above the threshold to claim.

As elections approach, comparing the different political parties proposals and plans in these areas can help voters make informed choices about the policies that will best support families and children. Recognising and valuing the contributions of grandparents and other family members who provide unpaid childcare and support is also important, as they play a vital role in the well-being of the family unit.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is a real odd one that came about under Theresa Mays tory govt at a time when she was reliant on DUP support, in N.Ireland the UC limit is £14,000 whilst in England its £7400, making N.I kids more deserving of free school meals or English kids less deserving ?
    That aside by the late 1990's the Labour govt had credible plans to eradicate child poverty completely by 2020, a campaign the coalition of 2010 swept aside and we now have a position where more and more children are officially living in poverty as each year passes. Shame on them and shame on us for allowing it !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 572 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry, I am going to digress and go back to the ridiculous Radar scheme. It is pointless as anyone can get a radar key from Amazon. I use 2 City of London pubs. Neither use Radar. In each establishment the disabled toilets are perfect. There is room for me and my mobility scooter, and both loo's are spotlessly clean and well kept. The reason they don't use Radar is because able bodied people can't get in. You have to ask.

Around the corner from me is a national pub chain. There was a group of young healthy women, and all they did was use a Radar key to use the disabled loo, instead of walking up a short flight of stairs to use the ladies facilities. I got a tad uptight because when I wanted to use the loo I couldn't 'cos one of the young ladies was in there.

So the Radar scheme is a total waste of time.

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 619 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry, I am going to digress and go back to the ridiculous Radar scheme. It is pointless as anyone can get a radar key from Amazon. I use 2 City of London pubs. Neither use Radar. In each establishment the disabled toilets are perfect. There is room for me and my mobility scooter, and both loo's are spotlessly clean and well kept. The reason they don't use Radar is because able bodied people can't get in. You have to ask.

Around the corner from me is a national pub chain. There was a group of young healthy women, and all they did was use a Radar key to use the disabled loo, instead of walking up a short flight of stairs to use the ladies facilities. I got a tad uptight because when I wanted to use the loo I couldn't 'cos one of the young ladies was in there.

Theres such thing as invisibility disabilities, just becuase those ladies may of looked healthy you can't fully assume that they wern't entitiled to use the disabled toilet or have a radar key. I am abled bodied but have a rader key and use the disabled toilets becuase I have an Ileostomy (stoma) but from the outside I look perfectly normal. I can't count the countless times I have been approached by people who state that its a disabled toilet and I shouldn't use it, where in fact I need to use one at times and am fully entiltled to use one.

We just can't assume things about a person based on how they look on the outside.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I really do wish some people wouldn't just "assume" a person isn't disabled. My daughter has Autism, a learning disability and social anxiety, all of which are invisible conditions. She's look perfectly fine and can walk and run without problems. Just because she looks fine, it doesn't mean she doesn't have a disability. She has just as much rights to use the disabled toilet as someone that looks disabled. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 757 Pioneering
    Options
    There is still no accountability.  What is said in a manifesto and what is acted on are worlds apart.
      It may be as simple as what is a monumental night mare to you is not on the same part of the To-Do-List they have.  Refugees could be further up than Homeless or free school meals, and am sure that each area around the country could bring up a different to-do list.
    BUT, we have to start some where otherwise its organised cayous.  Then we have loads of half jobs and nothing completed.
      I believe each area represented by an MP should receive your requests for help, and that central government should fix the bigger problems like the NHS and the Steel industry problems to name two.  What I don't see is anyone round the table talking on how to fix the problems, whether its a change of contractual hours, employment requirement and skills factors, or even relocation to bigger premesis or to have the skills factor in one place dealing with operations in one spot like heart surgery or brain surgery.
      All I can see is no one wants to committ to a resolution that is beneficial to both parties as they won't talk.

• Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have an invisible disability (declared in 2007) but I did not need to use a disabled loo - so I didn't.

If anyone reading this wants to tell me that a group of about 8 healthy young females need to use a disabled persons loo, then you are testing my patience to the very limit.

In the same chain of pubs the disabled loo on the ground floor is kept permanently open, so that the alcoholics ( generally elderly) can go and have a pee. The loo is disgusting.

I won't tolerate anyone making excuses for the use of non-disabled people using facilities that are set aside for the disabled. 
  • rubin16
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have an invisible disability (declared in 2007) but I did not need to use a disabled loo - so I didn't.

If anyone reading this wants to tell me that a group of about 8 healthy young females need to use a disabled persons loo, then you are testing my patience to the very limit.

In the same chain of pubs the disabled loo on the ground floor is kept permanently open, so that the alcoholics ( generally elderly) can go and have a pee. The loo is disgusting.

I won't tolerate anyone making excuses for the use of non-disabled people using facilities that are set aside for the disabled. 

What were stating is, how do you know that those 8 females are all healthy? you can't judge a book by its cover and there is a chance that all 8 could have an invisable disability and entitled to use a disabled toilet. Without knowing for certain you can't pass judgement on people.

I have had countless people state to me that "thats the disabled toilet you know" or "you shouldn't use the disabled toilet" when in fact I am entitled and sometimes need to. You just never know for certain unless you truly know the person or what ailments/disability they have. There is a chance that your correct and they shouldn't use the toilet, but also a chance you are wrong and they have every right to use it. But without knowing for certain its not for another person to judge.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• Steve_in_The_City
    Options
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @rubin16 Oh, please!
    Is he not entitled to his point of view ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,100 Scope online community team
    Options

I think it's important to remember that not all disabilities are visible and there are many reasons someone may need access to a disabled toilet that would be invisible. It's also not uncommon for people with similar experiences, including disability, to become friends and go out together. 

That said, I think we all agree that people can and do take advantage of disabled facilities, quite often leaving them unusable and unsafe and this is not okay.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,100 Scope online community team
    Options

Note from online community team:

Hello everyone,

We want this discussion to continue, but we’re concerned that things are becoming quite tense and could easily escalate.

Please remember that all discussions on Scope’s online community should remain civil, supportive, and safe.

We will continue to closely monitor this discussion, but if it escalates further, we may choose to pause, close, or even hide the discussion.

For more information, please read our online community house rules.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Queen_K
    Queen_K Community member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I will say it again! How do you know that they didn’t have a disability? You are judging a book by its cover and that’s wrong! 

My daughter uses disabled toilets and she can walk, run and jump. She has Autism, learning disability and social anxiety. You would never know by just looking at her. She uses them because sometimes other public toilets can be busy and it makes her very anxious. 

Please have some thought for others… 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Options
    Poppy's insightful observation highlights the need to address the challenges faced by individuals with invisible disabilities.  We need  to cultivate empathy and understanding towards those with diverse needs, such as those affected by conditions like Autism and social anxiety, which may not be visually apparent.

As a blue badge holder, I've encountered first hand the challenges of facing public scrutiny and preconceptions regarding my disability. Despite my conditions blood cancer, heart failure, and spinal stenosis not being readily visible, they profoundly affect my daily life.  The misconception that blue badge holders must fit a specific appearance can lead to feelings of isolation and frustration. I've often been questioned by members of the public about why I require the designated space, adding to the challenges I face.

While it is important to address concerns regarding the potential misuse of blue badge parking spaces, it is equally important to acknowledge the emotional and mental toll that instant judgment based solely on appearance can take on individuals with invisible disabilities.
  • rubin16
    Options
    MW123 said:
    Poppy's insightful observation highlights the need to address the challenges faced by individuals with invisible disabilities.  We need  to cultivate empathy and understanding towards those with diverse needs, such as those affected by conditions like Autism and social anxiety, which may not be visually apparent.

As a blue badge holder, I've encountered first hand the challenges of facing public scrutiny and preconceptions regarding my disability. Despite my conditions blood cancer, heart failure, and spinal stenosis not being readily visible, they profoundly affect my daily life.  The misconception that blue badge holders must fit a specific appearance can lead to feelings of isolation and frustration. I've often been questioned by members of the public about why I require the designated space, adding to the challenges I face.

While it is important to address concerns regarding the potential misuse of blue badge parking spaces, it is equally important to acknowledge the emotional and mental toll that instant judgment based solely on appearance can take on individuals with invisible disabilities.

Its awful that people confront people when you use any disabled facility and I'm sorry that it has happened to you. Its about time people learned that some disablities are not always visable. For someone who has been confronted countless times even though I am entitled to use diabled facilities its really demoralising. I'm pretty sure unless you are like hobbling about or in a wheel chair people assume that you shouldn't be using them where infact you have every right.

Its not for another person to judge a person based on how they look or act, and people should just accept the fact that invisable disabilities exist. I think more education around invisable disabilities would help but unfortnatlely there will always be a small minority that feel the need to pass comment or confront which is wrong. You just don't know what ailments another person could be suffering from and should never just assume that a person isn't entitled to use a disabled facility based on how they look.

• Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    I am quite aware that there are people with invisible disabilities, being in that category myself.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    You are of course all kidding me that a group of young ladies who can do everything that young ladies can do all need a Radar key that that are sharing to use the loo!

• Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    On Thursday I went to my local entertainment complex. I knew I would not be able to use the disabled loo because of all the people with invisible disabilities who need to use it. These people are quite capable to use the bars, restaurants. galleries, theaters, open/inside/outdoor spaces but for some reason cannot go to the loo unless it is for a disabled person; they somehow find it is easier to use a loo attached to the bar/restaurant that they are in.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Playing Devil's advocate I'm sort of with @Steve_in_The_City -  I don't think it's due to these young ladies being able to do everything that young ladies do, but that it's a tad unlikely that all 8 females needed to use a disabled loo due to their disability, invisible or not....it may be likely, but perhaps not.
    Other than that, well you can never know; do they all have invisible disorders?....if so, then they should be able to use a disabled loo without discrimination, if not, then they are abusing the system.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.