Mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory reconsideration

Options
Animac
Animac Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Long story short - we live in England and my husband applied for PIP. He had a telephone assessment, and was then refused PIP. I asked for a copy of the assessors report and listened to the audio - She rushed him, interrupted him, guided him, humiliated him, and ultimately lied throughout the report. I was fuming. Obviously wrote a letter to DWP pointing out that the report they based their decision on was flawed, and complained to Capita. I asked for a reconsideration.

FF to today - we get a letter from Capita, basically agreeing with what I had written - they said that they asked DWP to return his file to them and did a paper based reassessment. Obviously I have no idea at this point what the new assessment says, but Capita have offered us £130 as a sorry, and have told DWP their findings.

So, a partial success. If anyone is debating whether to complain, do it. This kind of behaviour from these so called health professionals is outrageous - she actually said at one point in the recording "I'm sorry, I don't have time to listen to you, I've got other calls to get through". Paid per report?

So, we still don't know if the decision has changed, but I'm prepared for tribunal if necessary. I'm just surprised and a bit concerned they didn't call to ask questions. I'm worried the 2nd assessment will also contain flaws and I wasn't even aware they were doing it.

Has anyone else had something like this happen? I'm struggling to find any examples online. 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @Animac and welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so sorry your husband was treated so badly by Capita, but I'm glad they've at least admitted the terrible treatment. I don't think enough people actually put in formal complaints, it's the only way these companies will learn.
      I'll be keeping everything crossed for the MR, but if it comes to the tribunal, please try not to panic, that's where most decisions get overturned in your favour (I belive it's a 70% success rate now?), it just takes longer annoyingly. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.