LCWRA Question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA Question

Options
dickbcn
dickbcn Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,

I'd be so grateful if anyone might be able to help me with a very popular question - namely LCWRA awards. I offer advance apologies for length of this message - just want to give  all the facts I have.

I do not work. My wife needs my care full time, and I want to give it. She is the reason for me enjoying my life. She was diagnosed 4 years ago with a very rare form of Vasculitis, and a year later suffered a massive H/attack as a result of the disease, which then led to severe chronic heart failure - but , she's still with me people, and that's what we're both so grateful for.

My wife and I were awarded UC on the 27th November 2023.
Our assessment periods are the 27th to the 26th of the month.
We received a first payment on the 2nd Jan which comprised of Standard Couple Allowance, Housing, and Carer's Element (185.86).
This has repeated each month since always the same.

We receive Carer's Element as I am a full time carer for my wife and UC indicated this on our UC award letter as " ...You told us that your husband (my name) cares for you for more than 35hrs/week ... etc " 
I have not applied for, or am in receipt of Carers Allowance.

A fit note was requested by DWP on 18th December and supplied on the 20th December ( Effective from 27th November-Indefinite end) by our GP. Our DWP man also said on the 18th, that he would be passing our claim through for LCWRA as he felt, understanding my wife's medical conditions, she should be assessed.
We received the application form on the 6th Jan 2024, and sent it and received by DWP on the 15th Jan.
On the 17th of FEB, we received an award letter of LCWRA for my wife.

I've studied many of the examples already given in this forum of this question, and feel incompetent in still feeling confused, but I'll give it my best shot, so you all know I'm trying!

Would i be on the right track if I said...

DEC 20th - Fit Note Accepted by DWP

DEC 27th-Jan 26th - 1st  Full Assessment Period
JAN 27th-Feb 26th - 2nd Full Assessment Period
FEB 27th-MAR 26th -3rd  Full Assessment Period
APR 2nd -  Normal Payment date (for previous month Assessment Period)
                 (Normal amount - ie Carer's Element only)

MAY 2nd - 1st Payment (£390.06) of LCWRA added
( only for period 27th Mar- Apr 26th )

No money is due to us for dates Nov27th/Dec 20th - Mar26th ( first 3mths )
ie - we shouldn't be expecting back pay  from when they received the first fit note -  

Carer's Element
Would this be removed and replaced by just the one LCWRA payment?
Unsure due to joint claim for UC

My head says -  DWP have now awarded LCWRA to my wife purely for her inability to work.
Awarded me ( as it is a joint claim) the Carer's element as they have accepted that my wife needs someone to care for her ( ...you told us that RCM cares for you etc)

Tried to wade through the legislation  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/657878350467eb000d55f61d/admf6.pdf

Page 8
Joint claimants each entitled
F6036 Where each of a joint claim couple qualifies for a different element,
either 1. the carer element or 2. the LCWRA element then both of those elements may be included in the award.

Am I down a rabbit hole? Has anyone else got any ideas/experience.

I do thank all of you for your patience in getting to the end of this.

All the best to all of you.

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @dickbcn and welcome to the community. I hope you're doing ok today?

It's lovely you and your wife have each other, I do love a good love story. <3

UC is very confusing at the best of times, so thank you for all of the information, it'll be very helpful!  I'm not great with the ins and outs of UC still, but I know some of our regulars are, so hopefully someone will be along soon to help out. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,118 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 13
    Options
    Hi @dickbcn - & welcome to the community. You & your wife sound like such a lovely couple.
    You've got there with your calculations in that there's a full 3 months waiting period, then the LCWRA element is due from the following assessment period, i.e. 27 Mar - 26 April, but as this is paid in arrears, the 1st payment of this will indeed be 2 May so no backpay is due.
    You can only have one LCWRA element payable to a couple, but the other can claim the carer element, so all is well & the carer element will continue to be paid in addition to your wife's LCWRA element.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The waiting period for LCWRA is Dec/Jan, Jan/Feb, Feb/March LCWRA starts from assessment period 27th March to 26th April and first payment will be 2nd May. You are correct that no money is owed for this element.

As its you that’s claiming carers element for looking after her then this will continue as normal as well as the LCWRA element. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dickbcn
    dickbcn Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks so much all of you for your time in giving your thoughts -  you have left us both much more reassured -  that helps with the future.

Muchos muchos!!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.