UC compliance ongoing for 5 months — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC compliance ongoing for 5 months

Options
JaneyJo
JaneyJo Community member Posts: 34 Listener
Hello! I posted before giving all the horrible details of my experience with a compliance officer.
I sent them all the bank statements they requested. They lost these and I had to resend. Thought that would be it but I’m now being asked for more details about the same account (an ISA) I do not have.
I supplied a letter from the bank showing all the account numbers o have or have had with them.
Nope still not good enough, she wants statements which I am unable to provide as it’s not my account.

Things now get complicated, I have had to go to Ireland as my dad had a stroke and needs care. I’ll be here at least 8 weeks (I’m also waiting on being rehoused in the uk so could be longer)
I updated my journal to tell them I went to Ireland on March 13th and will be here for 8 weeks (minimum) I asked for my claim to be closed/suspended as I know my entitlement will end. I claim PIP too so I know I have to be back within 12 weeks. I recieved the following journal entry yesterday
“Hi Jane, the review has taken so long due to your mental health issues and your desire to involve your MP. Whilst the Department is sorry to here about your alleged Menatl health issues and your fathers ill health at this time I am not in a position to authorise ANY absence from the UK until such time as I have completed my review. For the same reasons your claim will not be stopped/suspended.
Once I am satisfied with the documentation you have submitted we will be in touch and you can at that point end your claim and leave the country.
Whilst this may be difficult for you to hear, it is a condition of receiving means tested benefits that you engage with the process and rules.”

The issue is I’m already in Ireland with my dad (his stroke was very bad and he had no one to help him once he was out of hospital)
Do I need to return to the UK? The compliance officer has threatens to have my passport cancelled (via a telephone call) if I try to, in her words “skip the country”

I have put in a formal complaint as has my MP but so far we have been ignored.

Should I return to the UK? I have some everything in they requested but she still wants statements from an account I don’t have.
I have severe mental health issues and this all started whilst I was in a psych ward and she was calling and messaging daily (my psychiatrist wrote to them detailing the effect this is having but this too was ignored)

Can anyone help? I’m struggling to care for my dad, look after my own mental health and now I’m terrified I won’t have a passport to come home?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Regards

Comments

• XXXW
    XXXW Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    JaneyJo said:
    Hello! I posted before giving all the horrible details of my experience with a compliance officer.
    I sent them all the bank statements they requested. They lost these and I had to resend. Thought that would be it but I’m now being asked for more details about the same account (an ISA) I do not have.
    I supplied a letter from the bank showing all the account numbers o have or have had with them.
    Nope still not good enough, she wants statements which I am unable to provide as it’s not my account.

Things now get complicated, I have had to go to Ireland as my dad had a stroke and needs care. I’ll be here at least 8 weeks (I’m also waiting on being rehoused in the uk so could be longer)
    I updated my journal to tell them I went to Ireland on March 13th and will be here for 8 weeks (minimum) I asked for my claim to be closed/suspended as I know my entitlement will end. I claim PIP too so I know I have to be back within 12 weeks. I recieved the following journal entry yesterday
    “Hi Jane, the review has taken so long due to your mental health issues and your desire to involve your MP. Whilst the Department is sorry to here about your alleged Menatl health issues and your fathers ill health at this time I am not in a position to authorise ANY absence from the UK until such time as I have completed my review. For the same reasons your claim will not be stopped/suspended.
    Once I am satisfied with the documentation you have submitted we will be in touch and you can at that point end your claim and leave the country.
    Whilst this may be difficult for you to hear, it is a condition of receiving means tested benefits that you engage with the process and rules.”

The issue is I’m already in Ireland with my dad (his stroke was very bad and he had no one to help him once he was out of hospital)
    Do I need to return to the UK? The compliance officer has threatens to have my passport cancelled (via a telephone call) if I try to, in her words “skip the country”

I have put in a formal complaint as has my MP but so far we have been ignored.

Should I return to the UK? I have some everything in they requested but she still wants statements from an account I don’t have.
    I have severe mental health issues and this all started whilst I was in a psych ward and she was calling and messaging daily (my psychiatrist wrote to them detailing the effect this is having but this too was ignored)

Can anyone help? I’m struggling to care for my dad, look after my own mental health and now I’m terrified I won’t have a passport to come home?

Regards
    OMG, I cant believe what I am reading. You poor thing.  That woman needs to be dismissed with immediate effect!  I have never heard of them stopping your passport,  but reading your other posts and being threatened with prison, wow.  

I feel like it's the Post Office scandal all over again, guilty until proven innocent. The way she is talking to you is utterly shocking and disgraceful especially when you suffer from MH.  The alleged bit is disgusting. So, what she is saying is apparently, you are a thief and you will go to prison after she stops your passport and your psychiatrist is also a liar and doesn't have the authority to diagnose because she says your alleged illness. Where is the compassion, the empathy?

What is more worrying is all this because you might or might not have gone over the threshold by a few pounds... really?  Throwing the first stone comes to mind because don't tell me she has never done anything wrong in her life, innocently or not.   I am not saying you have done anything wrong, as I don't believe you have. It's hard enough to struggle with MH without all this unjust drama she is causing you.

According to her, though you're a proper gangster it seems and I am just wondering how you find time to come on here with all that money laundering and illegal activity you do, no doubt you use false passports with fake photos and fake birth certificates to keep her busy,  what's she going to do next, get Interpol involved? 

People like her are on an ego trip and that is a dangerous attitude to have, they are dangerous to people with disabilities like yourself.  Karma is a great thing and trust me one day just like the Post Office Scandal the tactics of people like her will be exposed, no doubt through another ITV series. I think they should be, I  believe that ITV should focus their next drama on this kind of issue of bullying from the DSS, it needs to be exposed for all the needless deaths it has caused and will until something is done.

What the DSS should be focusing on is organised crime, the gangs that do the above with fake passports, fake birth certificates, and made-up addresses with made-up children. 

I am sorry you are going through this, you shouldn't have to feel this way. She should wrap her investigation up and let you look after your dad. 
  • Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering
    Options
    Sounds like you need urgent legal advice or help from a benefits advisor. I am neither but it doesn't sound right that she would have the power to say you are not allowed to leave the country. Only a court order or probation rules would be able to order that I'm sure and if that happened you would have to surrender your passport. This sounds like the worst kind of coercive overreach and I agree with the previous commenter that this person should be facing a disciplinary for thia behaviour. Of course you should be with your father, no question. I hope you can find a benefits advisor to help you asap and do keep your MP informed, with screenshots of their messages perhaps, so they can see what's going on. This is abusive behaviour and we should not have to put up with it. Best of luck and take care of yourself and your Dad x
  • JaneyJo
    Options
    Thank you. I feel like I’m a criminal and I’ve done nothing wrong. 
    I think I’m going to be with my dad and if she stops my passport so be it. I have done nothing wrong at all and it is starting to really affect my mental health.
    shes accused me before of not really having mh issues… “well you claim you’ve tried to kill yourself but you’re still here so you aren’t really very serious about this are you. 

She is a repugnant woman devoid of any humanity but I have no choice but to jump through her hoops. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm afraid you need the level of advice that I suspect non of us are qualified to give, hope you get it sorted out.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• JaneyJo
    Options
    I have supplied all the documents she needs but for some reason she really seems to have it in for me.
    when I talk to her she twists my words but if I record the conversation without telling her I think I’m breaking the rules.
    i have asked for someone else to look at my case but she refuses and they just ignore official complaints 
  • XXXW
    Options
    JaneyJo said:
    Thank you. I feel like I’m a criminal and I’ve done nothing wrong. 
    I think I’m going to be with my dad and if she stops my passport so be it. I have done nothing wrong at all and it is starting to really affect my mental health.
    shes accused me before of not really having mh issues… “well you claim you’ve tried to kill yourself but you’re still here so you aren’t really very serious about this are you. 

She is a repugnant woman devoid of any humanity but I have no choice but to jump through her hoops. 
    She has no right, no right whatsoever to speak to you like that, it makes me very angry and very sad for you.

How can she say things like that when you were in a psych ward, what does she think you were doing there admiring the wallpaper?  As said before she needs to be fired, she needs to be reported and suspended while an investigation takes place into her conduct.

If you can tape her conversations or insist she contacts you via email everything that comes out of her vile mouth is recorded as evidence.

I am not qualified to give you advice about the passport issue, as I have never heard of that before, but if I was a guessing person I would say it would have to be a court order.  I wish I could tell you where to get advice from on this matter. Just remember you are a brave person who doesn't deserve this treatment and remember that what she is doing is wrong on so many levels that she needs to atone for the way she has spoken to you. 
  • XXXW
    Options
    JaneyJo said:
    I have supplied all the documents she needs but for some reason she really seems to have it in for me.
    when I talk to her she twists my words but if I record the conversation without telling her I think I’m breaking the rules.
    i have asked for someone else to look at my case but she refuses and they just ignore official complaints 
    I don't know if it's rule-breaking, but I wouldn't care I would tell her I was recording her, they record you if you phone them. 

I would certainly demand that someone else look at your case and I would list the reasons why. I would write a very long letter, listing all that she has said and make another formal complaint against her for harassment because it is harassment.  Even if you had committed fraud which I know you haven't she has no right to speak to you that way, murderers are not spoken to like that by the police.
  • XXXW
    Options
    JaneyJo said:
    I had a thought. You say she contacted you, I am presuming by phone. I am also presuming it was from work, well ask for DSAR.  Ask for those calls to be sent to you through a subject access request or ask in your complaint for those phone calls to be listened to as part of your complaint about her aggressive behaviour towards you.  Personally, I would point blank and refuse to speak with her and tell her I want to speak with her manager.

• JaneyJo
    Options
    I did ask for her manager who joined the call and was actually worse than her. 
    It’s making me feel suicidal again and when I told her this she just sighs
    ”if everyone who told me they are going to kill themselves over compliance did so we’d have no claimants left”
    It’s puzzling that they are ignoring my official complaints and that of my MP.

• XXXW
    Options
    JaneyJo said:
    I did ask for her manager who joined the call and was actually worse than her. 
    It’s making me feel suicidal again and when I told her this she just sighs
    ”if everyone who told me they are going to kill themselves over compliance did so we’d have no claimants left”
    It’s puzzling that they are ignoring my official complaints and that of my MP.

I am speechless, so according to her and her manager then everyone who is suicidal is also lying, they should be in a criminal court for those behaviours as it's a hate crime and primarily aimed at people with disabilities. 

Please reach out to the Samaritans or the crisis team in your area.  I hope you have someone with you, a friend or family member.  You need help, not condemnation. 

They can't ignore an official complaint you can complain about her manager also, her manager is the leader and is meant to coach the team to do a good job which should not be threatening, bullying and harassing vulnerable people. 

I don't know the DSS complaint procedures but every company and public entity should have one.  She should conclude her business with you instead of carrying it on, I have no idea why the case shouldn't be closed by now if you have given her everything you have available.   
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Options
    JaneyJo said:

I recieved the following journal entry yesterday

I’m terrified I won’t have a passport to come home?

Regards
    @JaneyJo

The wording provided in the message from the compliance officer does not explicitly state that they are cancelling your passport. Instead, the compliance officer is indicating that they cannot authorise your absence from the UK until their review is complete, and that your claim will not be stopped or suspended until then.

The mention of not being able to "end your claim and leave the country" until they are satisfied with the documentation suggests that the compliance officer is reminding you of the conditions associated with your receipt of means-tested benefits, which typically require you to be present in the UK and to engage with the compliance process.

A compliance officer is not empowered to cancel your passport. The revocation of a passport is a grave measure usually reserved for issues pertaining to national security. court orders or legal proceedings involving criminal matters. Such an action is not within the scope of authority for a compliance officer handling benefit reviews and compliance checks.

For travel between the UK and Ireland, a passport is not necessary under the CTA rules. If you do not have a passport and want to travel to and from Ireland  it is advisable to carry some form of official photo identification to prove your nationality, especially if you are traveling by air. This can include a driving  licence or other government official issued ID. Ferry companies and airlines also have a list of their own ID requirements in the absence of a passport. 

You've mentioned that you've already involved your MP, which is a positive step. MPs can often intervene in situations where their constituents are experiencing problems with government departments. If you feel like your complaint is being ignored, consider following up with your MP's office to request an update or further assistance.

Keep in mind that MPs frequently communicate with constituents through written letters sent to their home addresses. Given that you're currently away, it's possible there's already a response from your MP waiting for you. To ensure you don't miss any important communication, I recommend sending an email to your MP's office specifying that you'd prefer to correspond via email for the time being.

Jane, you need to concentrate on taking care of yourself and your father at this difficult time. Sending  sincere best wishes to you and your father.
  • JaneyJo
    Options
    Thank you for your response it’s been very helpful.
    the passport cancelling remark was made via a phone call where she told me she can “revoke “ my passport and have me returned to the UK.
    the UC helpline couldn’t actually answer if this was the case or not but assumed she “wouldn’t lie to you”

I think that’s what has caused me my issues. No one can give me a straight answer and given that the compliance officer threatened me with prison for being in a psych ward and not answering her calls it’s made me very wary of anything they say to me 
  • MW123
    Options
    JaneyJo said:
    the passport cancelling remark was made via a phone call where she told me she can “revoke “ my passport and have me returned to the UK.
    the UC helpline couldn’t actually answer if this was the case or not but assumed she “wouldn’t lie to you”

I think that’s what has caused me my issues. No one can give me a straight answer and given that the compliance officer threatened me with prison for being in a psych ward and not answering her calls it’s made me very wary of anything they say to me 
    The compliance officer possesses the authority to suspend or halt your payments if they determine that you're not meeting requirements. However, they lack the authority to compel you to physically return to the UK. Any attempt to intimidate or make baseless threats constitutes an abuse of their authority and a violation of your rights.

It is unacceptable that the Universal Credit helpline failed to provide accurate, reliable information and instead made assumptions about the officer's statements. If they were unable to provide an answer, they should have thoroughly investigated to ensure accuracy. You deserve truthful guidance from the helpline, and their failure to provide it is a clear example of poor service.

Furthermore, I noticed a troubling inconsistency in your journal you shared. While one sentence acknowledges delays due to mental health issues and discussions with your MP, the next refers to your mental health as merely 'alleged.' This contradiction is serious and requires clarification.

It seems there is confusion within the department regarding your mental health situation. How can they acknowledge one thing and then contradict it in the next sentence? Resolving this issue will hopefully ensure they take your mental health seriously and provide appropriate support.

When the compliance officer resorts to intimidating language and threats, it signifies a lapse in professional behaviour. I can sympathise with your apprehension towards them, but hopefully, your MP will be able to assist you in addressing these concerns.
  • JaneyJo
    Options
    Thank you, it confused me too that she acknowledged my mental health issues but then dismissed them as “alleged “
    I have supplied them with a letter stating I was in a psychiatric ward and my psychiatrist wrote to them asking them to hurry this along as it was having a severe detrimental affect on my mental health.

she insisted on speaking to me when I was in the ward (and heavily medicated) the nurse took my phone and tried to speak to her at which point she ended the call (I presume as the nurse had no authority to speak on my behalf.)

She refuses to communicate via letter or journal and insists on phone calls. If she thinks I’m recording her (I tried once) she ends the call after telling me it’s against the law to record without her consent.

I have submitted another formal complaint to the dwp and hope they actually answer it this time 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,540 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    MW123 said:
    JaneyJo said:

It is unacceptable that the Universal Credit helpline failed to provide accurate, reliable information and instead made assumptions about the officer's statements. If they were unable to provide an answer, they should have thoroughly investigated to ensure accuracy. You deserve truthful guidance from the helpline, and their failure to provide it is a clear example of poor service.

The problem here is they are call centre staff and not benefits advisors. They mostly sit there reading from a screen and for this reason they should be the last place someone turns to for any such advice. 

They certainly won't investigate anything before advising anyone. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JaneyJo
    Options
    Should they not just say they don’t know? Rather than say “she wouldn’t lie”
    they were also pretty sure she can force me to return from Ireland and /or leave a psychiatric ward whenever she likes.

it’s understandable they are call centre staff (I didn’t know that I assumed it was job centre staff I was speaking with)
  • MW123
    Options
    MW123 said:
    JaneyJo said:

The problem here is they are call centre staff and not benefits advisors. They mostly sit there reading from a screen and for this reason they should be the last place someone turns to for any such advice. 

They certainly won't investigate anything before advising anyone. 

Poppy, thank you for sharing your perspective on the limitations of the Universal Credit helpline and the role of call centre staff. Your insight is enlightening and helps to explain why Jane's experience and my expectations of the helpline's investigative capabilities were unrealistic. 

I was not aware of the constraints that call centre staff operate under, and your explanation has provided valuable context for understanding the situation. I appreciate your willingness to shed light on this matter.
  • MW123
    Options
    JaneyJo said:
    Thank you, it confused me too that she acknowledged my mental health issues but then dismissed them as “alleged “
    I have supplied them with a letter stating I was in a psychiatric ward and my psychiatrist wrote to them asking them to hurry this along as it was having a severe detrimental affect on my mental health.

she insisted on speaking to me when I was in the ward (and heavily medicated) the nurse took my phone and tried to speak to her at which point she ended the call (I presume as the nurse had no authority to speak on my behalf.)

She refuses to communicate via letter or journal and insists on phone calls. If she thinks I’m recording her (I tried once) she ends the call after telling me it’s against the law to record without her consent.

I have submitted another formal complaint to the dwp and hope they actually answer it this time 
    Even though the caseworker may be reluctant to communicate in writing directly, there is nothing preventing you from following up your telephone conversations with a detailed written summary. For example, after a call, I would recommend sending an email along the lines of: "Just to confirm, in our conversation today on [date] at [time], we discussed the following points: [X, Y, Z]. I wanted to again express my concerns regarding [A, B, C]."

This approach serves to create a clear, documented record of your discussions, which can be referred back to should any disagreements arise in the future about the content or nature of your conversations. The written word carries significant weight and permanence, which can be invaluable should the need arise to rely on the details of your interactions with the officer.

If Poppy is around she might be able to advise if you are able to record information like this on your journal.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,540 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    JaneyJo said:
    Should they not just say they don’t know? Rather than say “she wouldn’t lie”
    they were also pretty sure she can force me to return from Ireland and /or leave a psychiatric ward whenever she likes.

it’s understandable they are call centre staff (I didn’t know that I assumed it was job centre staff I was speaking with)
    Of course that's what they should say but very often they don't. You will sometimes speak to someone that's helpful but the majority of the time mostly they really do not know what they are talking about. Sad but so true. 

When ringing any DWP department, you will always be speaking to someone from a call centre, not someone from DWP itself. (unless a decision maker rings you) 

If you leave messages on your journal then it's likely to be someone from a job centre, such as a work coach. If you have access to a journal then my advice is stay away from the UC helpline. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JaneyJo
    Options
    Does anyone know what the scope of an A42 form is? As I’m struggling to prove this account is not mine they have suggested I fill this out. They wouldn’t however tell me if this gives access to all my accounts or for how long? I’m happy to try myself but my mental health can make it very difficult to be constantly calling and chasing banks. 
    If this form makes my life easier I’m happy for them to do it but the vague answers over what this allows is causing me some anxiety. I have tried googling before I bother you all again but I’m still finding nothing 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.