Motability & Pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motability & Pip

Options
TylaGismo2
TylaGismo2 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
So I'm in a bit of a situation right now, 
My current Motab car isn't suitable for me anymore and is also financially crippling me (it's electric and public chargers are so expensive) 

Motab was happy for me to look for a new car early and I was looking at a WAV preferably a internal transfer one, but the advance payment is like £20,000 I obvs can't afford that. I called the grants team and they refuse to let me apply as I have less than a year left till my pip renewal (ends 10 march 2025), I called DWP, motab and the grants team multiple times no one can help me 

Does anyone know if I can do anything?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To place an order for another vehicle you must have at least 12 months remaining on your PIP award. 

If your award ends in less than 1 year then I don’t understand how motability would have allowed you to place a new order.

You should receive your review form around 8 months before your award is due to end. 

The only thing I can suggest is you could ring to start the review sooner but this would be reporting changes. There’s always some risk to your current award when doing this and only you can make that decision. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TylaGismo2
    Options
    To place an order for another vehicle you must have at least 12 months remaining on your PIP award. 

If your award ends in less than 1 year then I don’t understand how motability would have allowed you to place a new order.

You should receive your review form around 8 months before your award is due to end. 

The only thing I can suggest is you could ring to start the review sooner but this would be reporting changes. There’s always some risk to your current award when doing this and only you can make that decision. 

Hi! 

Thank you so much, I didn't realise that because motability were happy for me to try and order a car with no advance payment even though I have literally just a couple days under a year left 

I may call DWP  on Monday see what they say, I mean my mobility has gotten a lot worse and I'm being tested for other diagnosis so maybe they'll consider it?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Asking them to review early does risk the award you have at the moment, so think carefully.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• TylaGismo2
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Asking them to review early does risk the award you have at the moment, so think carefully.
    I totally understand that, I don't think I'm at too much of a risk of losing my award as I don't think I'm gonna grow my leg back 😂 but honestly pip is just really freaking stressful 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I wouldn't take anything for granted with DWP. Even if you do report changes so you can be reviewed earlier, a decision may take quite sometime. They've been concentrating on new claims since 2020. 

I"m assuming you do not have a home charger for your car? Did you do some research before choosing that car? I did exactly that before choosing my current car and worked out that it would cost significantly more if using public chargers then paying for fuel. I don't have a drive way so home charger isn't possible. For this reason I decided on the next best option of a self charging hybrid. MPG have increased significantly, especially in warmer months. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • TylaGismo2
    Options
    I wouldn't take anything for granted with DWP. Even if you do report changes so you can be reviewed earlier, a decision may take quite sometime. They've been concentrating on new claims since 2020. 

I"m assuming you do not have a home charger for your car? Did you do some research before choosing that car? I did exactly that before choosing my current car and worked out that it would cost significantly more if using public chargers then paying for fuel. I don't have a drive way so home charger isn't possible. For this reason I decided on the next best option of a self charging hybrid. MPG have increased significantly, especially in warmer months. 
    Hiya I know it'll take time but I'm just not looking forward to having to wait a whole year just to get sorted 

And since the car was grant funded they basically only gave me 2 options and the other car wasn't quite big enough in terms of boot space, so I picked the Berlingo, only problem was at the time I picked it there was only the electric version available so I had to go with that and I didn't think charging would be as expensive as it is 
    Typical that literally a week after I'd put the order in the website then started showing the Berlingo in a petrol 😅
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    Options

That is no longer the case for people who already have a Motability car. You can have less than 12 months left on an award and order a new car now (I ordered my new one in November and my award was due to run out in January and hadn't been extended at that point).

The rules changed for current Motability customers a few months ago.
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Laurapeach, thanks I didn’t know that. I tried looking on motability website but couldn’t find any information. Though I did find this for anyone that’s interested. Rules changed in Oct 2023. https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/forums/topic/good-news-less-than-12-month-remaining-renewing-customers/
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    Options
    Laurapeach, thanks I didn’t know that. I tried looking on motability website but couldn’t find any information. Though I did find this for anyone that’s interested. Rules changed in Oct 2023. https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/forums/topic/good-news-less-than-12-month-remaining-renewing-customers/
    I managed to find the information on this page:

https://www.motability.co.uk/get-support/faqs/my-allowance-ends-before-my-lease/

They don't make it very easy to find though, it should be pinned at the top of their FAQs I think as there are lots of people coming to order their next car who still don't know.

Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I agree it should be at the top. We've had quite a few members here asking about Motability vehicle leases due to their review decision not yet being made. Maybe that's why they took away the 12 months for existing customers. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.