Thyme To Garden! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thyme To Garden!

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
I've seen a few members have been in their gardens! I've always said, I didn't get the green thumb. But I have family members with beautiful gardens.

There are many books and podcasts out there for those who, like me, don't have the green thumb but want to learn. 

Books:
  • The Gardener's Almanac 2024 (National Trust). I recently bought this as a Christmas gift for my Poppa. He is an experienced gardener, but this little book has a task, trivia, or a suggested plant for each month. It's a great way to take everything from wildlife to weather into consideration too. 
  • Veg In One Bed. Maybe you are not a flower person? Huw Richards has released a few books since this one, but I've been told this is a great a-z on vegetables. 
  • The Kew Gardener's Guide to Growing House Plants. Unfortunately, many people may not have the space or adaptations in their garden. But you can still enjoy the love of gardening indoors. And who better to help guide you, than Kew Gardens?!
Not everyone learns from a book and sometimes, it's nice to have something playing in the background when getting on with a task. So why not a podcast? To boost your knowledge as you work along. 

Podcasts:
  • Gardening with the Royal Horticultural Society. Available on Spotify. 
  • Gardeners Corner. Available on BBC Sounds. 
  • The Organic Gardening Podcast. Available on Apple Podcasts.
I also thought this post could be a great way for members to share how they learned and recommend books and podcasts too :)

So, how did you learn to garden? Because, as of now, gardening's got me beet. 
Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,819 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great thread @Hannah_Scope I use Apple podcasts so definitely have a listen. 

Wish I could buy books. I adore books. But can’t afford even one. Something else is always needed. 

I have been gardening since I could walk. Lol. I lived with my Nan as a infant and she could grow anything she wanted. Never from a book though same here. I just treat seeds as new life and love n care for them. Not upping myself. It’s the one thing I can do. 
    Problem I have now is growing food is easy to see what I’m growing obviously. But a part from lilies I now have to put names on all flowers I grow. Because I just don’t remember what they are. 

I like to grow flowers for out the front for the wildlife not just the bees. But butterflies etc. 
    and veg and salad out back. Everything in pots. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @Ada :) 

It's such a shame that a lot of these books don't come in audio format either. Which is why I shared the podcasts :) To be fair, a lot of the book information is on the podcast, and they are free as they allow adverts. 

Aww I love that! A passion from childhood <3 I can't wait to see what you grow this year! I have seen those little wooden tags where you can write the name on in chalk. And then I think, British weather? Will need a permanent marker :D
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sioned
    Sioned Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Youtube is a great place for gardening tips and advice

Huw Richards, whose book you mentioned, started with youtube before he wrote any books and he still posts new videos there regularly. They go through all the things you need to know and are really well doone
    https://www.youtube.com/@HuwRichards/videos

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,710 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I learnt my love of gardening from my grandad around 60 years ago now, last year own then "new"puppy was very young and loved digging plants up so this year we have brought lots of pots that hang on the fences so was are guaranteed some colour, I have planted lots of trailing sweet peas and trailing nasturtiums and they have started to "pop" up already.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.