Discrimination at work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination at work

Options
lizptsd
lizptsd Community member Posts: 24 Listener
edited March 18 in Work and employment
Hi I'm Liz and I've been bullied at work due to mental and physical health problems. I've been signed off of work with anxiety and depression since 24th November 2023. My boss wanted to get rid of me for sometime. I'd been harassed by former neighbour for 18 months and had developed PTSD and have Osteoarthritis and Foramimal Stenosis. The bullying at work became extreme and I couldn't cope anymore. Now he has dismissed me due to the fact that he feels I'm not physically able to to perform the roles I was employed for. As he denies the mental health issues and did the work capability assessment himself should I start discrimination complaints or just put a line under it all and try to heal the mental health damage? 

Comments

• lizptsd
    edited March 18
    Options
    Thanks Hannah, the perpetrator of the harassment was found guilty and given a 12 month suspended sentence last August. 
    The discrimination at work has been flagged up with ACAS but it's left me really traumatised and my employer hand delivered the dismissal letter in disguise! My husband and I were really concerned. I just don't want other disabled people to be treated as I was. My spirit was broken and he made me feel worthless. After the harasser tormented me due to my disabilities it was awful to have it happen at work too.
    I have help with my mental health but I am on two long waiting lists for therapy but I have a lot of support. 
    We lost our son to suicide last year so it's all been awful. 

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @lizptsd

Welcome to the community! :) I am so sorry to hear about what you have been going through. Can I ask, do you have support for your mental health at the moment? 

With your neighbour, Citizen's Advice has an information page on Complaining about your neighbour that you may find helpful. With work, in my opinion I would look at everything you have in writing and speak to an advisor at ACAS. They will be able to let you know what you can do and hopefully that information will help you with making a decision. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your son. Can I ask, have you had support? I wanted to share CRUSE with you, who are a fantastic bereavement support organisation. Should you feel you need them.

I know exactly how it feels to be discriminated against for your disability at work. I was young, so I just found another job. But as my health has gotten worse it's not as easy to do that. So, I understand where you want to fight, but I also want to make sure you are looking after yourself to <3 I'm glad you are on the wait list for therapy.

Please know there are people like SHOUT who are a 24/7 mental health texting service.
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • lizptsd
    Options
    Hi Hannah thank you for your help I will approach CRUSE and it's good to now about SHOUT.
    I'm trying to look after myself, 
    It's hard as now I have all the ESA and WCA to go through. 
    As I'm constantly falling over my Foramimal Stenosis symptoms are debilitating and it's hard to concentrate on anything! 
    It's all very scary! 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    We have so many knowledgeable members when it comes to ESA and WCA. Please don't hesitate to ask :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

• lizptsd
    Options
    That's great Hannah it's great that you offer so much support it's a comfort to know you are all out there 😊
    Thank you take care 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.