pip but on iva with stepchange — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip but on iva with stepchange

Options
midnight1980
midnight1980 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi is anyone on a iva and if successful I would get a back payment from pip , will they take the back payment from me and my pip payments going forward this would help me so much with things the back payment , that I need for my disability my washing machine has broke etc 
many thanks 

Comments

• TheManFromLondon
    TheManFromLondon Community member Posts: 226 Pioneering
    edited March 20
    Options
    Try getting an answer from here: https://debtcamel.co.uk/disability-benefits-and-debts/

It seems that your backpay and PIP can be claimed for your IVA, but you can offset them to expenses. The backpay will be more tricky to do that. Take a look at the link above, Sarah is the best source for your questions and will reply fast.

At the link above, scroll the page down to the end and post your question.

Good luck.
  • TheManFromLondon
    Options
    I saw your question at DebtCamel so I put the answer here for others who may come across this post:

Your backpay and ongoing payments can be claimed. As Sara said, you should offset them to needs, since you get a PIP for your extra costs.

Please read:
    “Any state benefits, including those relating to income (universal credit, child benefit and pensions, etc) and also ill-health, disability or caring responsibilities should be included as income. The insolvency practitioner should ensure that any caring related costs are also included as an expense within the relevant section of the SFS.”

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-voluntary-arrangement-iva-protocol/iva-protocol-2021

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is an IVA the best solution ? might you qualify for a DRO (debt relief order) ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 476 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi is anyone on a iva and if successful I would get a back payment from pip , will they take the back payment from me and my pip payments going forward this would help me so much with things the back payment , that I need for my disability my washing machine has broke etc 
    many thanks 
    My advice would be to speak to your IVA company as soon as possible and explain your situation, including the need for a new washing machine. They may be willing to allow you to use some or all of the back payment for essential expenses before including it in the IVA repayments. They should work with you to ensure the IVA remains affordable.

• TheManFromLondon
    edited March 21
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Is an IVA the best solution ? might you qualify for a DRO (debt relief order) ?
    woodbine is correct! Anyone exploring a debt solution: DO NOT speak to an IVA company. First action is to read very well what each option means to you. Best source to start is debtcamel.co.uk and ask all questions there.

Then, fully informed, speak with a charity like NationalDebtLine.co.uk and StepChange and explore your options, but again, do not just go for what they suggest.

It is all subject to your circumstances but if one has no house and assets (and few other conditions), they should consider RDO or Bankruptcy first, you get out of it in 12 months and do not touch your benefits at all if thats your only income.

Read, explore, learn and understand, but DO NOT go to an IVA agent blindfolded.

I have got a Bankruptcy in 2016 and an RDO in 2022, it is not as scary s people think and while the first might feel a bit intrusive, it is still the best option compared with the havoc of an IVA.

Start with DebtCamel.co.uk and you can use the tool of Stepchange to see your options.

https://www.stepchange.org/setting-expectations.aspx

tool requires you to open a free online account, enter all your debts, income, assets etc and prsents you with your options.

• TheManFromLondon
    edited March 21
    Options
    I meant "DRO"... too much Red Dead Redemption Online I suppose...
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A DRO used to cost £90 for some reason the govt.abolished this charge in the budget.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• midnight1980
    midnight1980 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    I’m 4 years into iva so nothing else is an option I’m just awaiting an answer so when i know I’ll let everyone know incase anyone has this question many thanks for your answers 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    edited March 24
    Options
    Best of luck @midnight1980 hopefully you can get some answers soon. 

(And that's not a bad problem to have @TheManFromLondon )
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    Options
    I’m 4 years into iva so nothing else is an option I’m just awaiting an answer so when i know I’ll let everyone know incase anyone has this question many thanks for your answers 
    My IVA ends this year but the company I went through for it has always ring fenced my PIP and my daughters DLA, so it would be put down on the form as income but they would not use it in the end calculation for how much disposable income I have to put towards the IVA. They basically take it out as spending it on monthly essentials etc.
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.