How do I go about getting the sort of living/housing arrangement I need?

SonOfYorick
SonOfYorick Community member Posts: 24 Listener
Or perhaps best described as 'might need'.

So, to be blunt, I'm 41 and my particular set of cards I've been dealt include some pretty deeply ingrained ADHD with what i can best describe as learning and decision making issues. Keeping jobs any better than temporary physical labour jobs is impossible.

The two housemates I live with (one I've known 15 plus years and his partner) are young professionals who thought I would be a bit of an odd 3rd wheel but harmless. I'm proving to be too much for them, as they basically have to think for 2 people, to anticipate my mistakes and so forth. They certainly didn't plan on being made into essentially parental figures.

We all agree, and my phychiatrist does too, that I might well be better off in some kind of housing / living arrangement like what some of my disabled friends have., with some staff coming round to check I haven't accidentally  flooded the kitchen (I almost did that yesterday)

Is there some kind of flow chart to figure out and work out which sort I might be best suited to? I try read up, but all I see are badly made websites aimed at old people.

Regards,

Son of yorick 

Comments

• SonOfYorick
    Well ok I was using lazy terminology , just whatever a guide it 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,646 Online Community Programme Lead
    Hello @SonOfYorick. I'm sorry your current housing doesn't sound as though it is working out for you. 

The NHS have a webpage where they explain many of the different types of housing options for older people or people with disabilities. About halfway down the page you'll find the section that may be more relevant to you.  
  • SonOfYorick
    I’ve spent some time on that and I’m not getting quite the answers I need.

the questionnaire thing was a waste of time too, and so, so many of the housing company / gov websites / advice sites I have found are strictly elder-focused.

i might call scope or if they’re not entirely inept, CAB.

its partly so annoying because I’m basically on the cusp between slightly odd but bright fellow and” Christ someone keep him away from anything that involves electricals, hydrolics, pressurised gas, or complicated instructions”