Therapy sessions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Therapy sessions

Options
Agnia
Agnia Community member Posts: 924 Connected
i was referred to therapy sessions 
the therapy sessions must be done via zoom with camera on 
i was kindly asking the lady who called me is it possible to do via phone or with camera off because i would feel more open and confident due to anxiety when camera is off because im ashamed of myself how i look im not confident about myself at all i would be more open to talk to the therapist when camera is off or on the phone but the lady said it’s not possible 
and i did use zoom about 3 years ago once or twice only and i had problem with the camera wasn’t working then and i didn’t know how to make it work 
really 
really im completely lost with everything in my life 

Comments

• Agnia
    Options
    im feeling completely hopeless and broken and that im in one dark place and no motivation to fight 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm sorry they weren't accepting of your suggestion @Agnia, I've known people have telephone therapy or therapy with cameras off. I think it's quite widely accepted that many people feel more comfortable speaking when they're not on camera, for a variety of reasons. 
    If you're unable to get your camera to work, I'd like to think they wouldn't refuse you therapy for that reason.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Agnia
    Options
    Thank you Adrian 
    im feeling quilty about myself 
    the lady said that the camera needs to be on during the session 
    what can i do then 
  • gemini83
    gemini83 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Sorry to hear about this.

I'm confused as to why they would refuse the session, I am sure they could start off with a telephone session and then work upwards to ease you into the sessions which would also benefit your confidence.

I once was referred to therapy and my GP asked me which method i would prefer; for me i preferred Face-to-Face, so maybe worth speaking to the referrer to discuss the options.

It sounds to me that the person who contacted you; may have been mistaken. 
    Best Wishes,
    gemini83
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Remember they are not there to judge you or your appearance @Agnia, and therapy can be really beneficial. If you're able to, it might be worth giving it a try with your camera on as it may help build your confidence with it? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Agnia
    Options
    Thank you Gemini 
    Thank was Adrian 
    i was talking to the lady who called me from the therapy institute that due to anxiety please is it possible to have a camera off and to have a session on the phone instead of zoom , she said that she will ask the director and got back to me that camera has to be on and via zoom the sessions 
    i will feel very overwhelmed and anxious for having camera on and im not able to do the sessions then 
    when i called Samaritans i could talk to then on the phone and i felt more confident  talking to them on the phone and it was important when i don’t show how i look because i look like a monster now and i don’t know how to explain more but to have camera on will cause a huge impact and stress and anxiety for me
  • Agnia
    Options
    should i ask the lady to confirm it in email that they not able to provide the therapy sessions on the phone? because im not refusing them im feeling very anxious with camera on 
    it’s too much for me really my brain doesn’t work 
  • Agnia
    Options
    im feeling very overwhelmed about it and stressed 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    This isn't an area of expertise for me, but if they're going to deny you the sessions because you cannot have your camera on, it may be beneficial to have that in writing so it's clear at least that you didn't fail to engage with them.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Agnia
    Options
    Thank you Adrian 
    yes i would like to write the request to them if they could write this information in email or in letter that they are not able to provide the therapy sessions because i cannot have camera off during the sessions and to have the sessions over the phone 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.