PIP medical assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP medical assessment

Options
hammers1970
hammers1970 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi

Does everyone who makes a claim for PIP have to undertake a medical assessment or are there any circumstances where a medical assessment would not be required, reason I’m asking is that I am under 2 hospitals for the following health problems and was wandering if a medical assessment would still be required:

Respiratory - Asthma + other lung problems.
Orthopaedics - 3 hip replacements.
Rheumatology - Adult onset stills disease.
ENT - 21 (3-4 a year) operations on my vocal chords.

If I do have to undertake a medical assessment, roughly how long do you have to wait for a date for your medical assessment?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,578 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The majority of people have assessments, which are mostly by telephone. Some are face to face or video. 

PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis. If there's enough of information about how your conditions affect you then it is possible to do a paper based assessment but they are rare. 

If one is needed you will be contacted it could take a few months, maybe longer. Sometimes as soon as a few weeks. Though it's a little like asking how long is a piece of string. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hammers1970
    hammers1970 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Thank you for your correspondence.

It’s been over 2 months at the moment, I’ve received a text saying that Independent Assessment Services are looking at my claim.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,334 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @hammers1970, how're you today?

I see Poppy has already given you all the details you need, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in your application.  Unfortunately things don't  tend to happen quickly for PIP, so there's often long waits!
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.