Need Advice on Savings and Council Tax/Housing Benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need Advice on Savings and Council Tax/Housing Benefit

Options
PalsyP
PalsyP Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm reaching out to seek some advice regarding savings and council tax benefit. Recently, I've found myself in a situation where I'm being charged for council tax for the upcoming financial year, despite having savings.

The reason behind my savings is quite frustrating. Over the past five years, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has underpaid my Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), which was over £16k. .. I know many see it as savings, if the DWP didn't screw up, I wouldn't have any.......

Now, with the council tax bill looming, I'm unsure about how to navigate this situation. On one hand, I understand that having savings might disqualify me from certain benefits or assistance. However, given the circumstances surrounding my savings, I'm not sure if there's any recourse available to me. Also, I am not sure if this will affect many Housing benefit as well.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights from those who have experience dealing with similar situations. How should I approach the council regarding my savings and the underpayment from the DWP? Are there any specific steps I should take or resources I should look into to ensure I'm not unfairly burdened with this council tax bill?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.
Regards,

PalsyP aka DJ Palsy P

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 23
    Options
    I remember advising you on your previous thread quite sometime ago about SDP which you hadn't been receiving with your ESA. 

Capital received due to official error from DWP or a local Authority if it's more than £5,000, which it was should be disregarded for the life of the claim. When you received the letter from ESA about the money that was owed to you, did that include details of the official error and the disregard? It should have. 

The official error should also mean it will not affect your HB or CTR either. I found this thread on rightsnet which you may find very helpful https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/18143/#86035
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • PalsyP
    Options
    poppy123456 said:
    When you received the letter from ESA about the money that was owed to you, did that include details of the official error and the disregard? It should have. 

The 4 letters I got is just to say the amounts have gone into my account, nothing else, apart from the date and my national insurance.

Would a bank statement be enough proof for them to say the money was from the DWP?
    Regards,

PalsyP aka DJ Palsy P

• poppy123456
    Options
    Ideally you need a letter from ESA saying that as it was an official error then it’s disregarded for the life of the claim. Bank statements will not help with this. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • PalsyP
    Options
    Ideally you need a letter from ESA 
    I will get my sister to call them next week. They will not talk to me due to my sister being my "power of attorney" - I really need to get that changed, due to me having no speech, before RelayUK, I couldn't use the phone.

Thank you for your advice by the way.
    Regards,

PalsyP aka DJ Palsy P

• PalsyP
    Options
    Ideally you need a letter from ESA
    I'll get my sister to call them next week.. They won't speak to me due to my sister being my "power of attorney" - I really need to try and get that changed if I can, before RelayUK (TextType), I couldn't use the phone due to no speech...

Thank you for your help by the way.....
    Regards,

PalsyP aka DJ Palsy P

• PalsyP
    Options
    Update: Well, after getting all the details - not everything directly from the horse's mouth - it appears that everyone on CTB has been cut by 50%.....Guess why... Apparently, my council is nearing going bankrupt, therefore they thought it'd be good to decide to cut everyone's CTB, even if they are unable to afford it.

They do offer "Council Tax Hardship Support", we can furthermore get a % deducted, however, what is the point saying you'll be cut by 50% but offer additional help to decrease the amount you need to pay?! Thousands will apply, so they'll be back at square one....

Well, more fool them, wasting money on dumb projects...
    Regards,

PalsyP aka DJ Palsy P

• poppy123456
    Options
    Unfortunately because all local Authorities have their own rules for CTR I won’t be able to advise on that. Someone may not pay anything and another person may pay a small amount, whilst other may have to pay more. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.