New claim for pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New claim for pip

Options
che123
che123 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
From childhood until DLA was changed to PIP I was awarded at every renewal. Since PIP took over, I've never once successfully been awarded. I'm currently in process of appealing with LCWRA and decided I need to try for PIP again. My condition is only worsening now and I'm exhausted with the constant struggle to get ANY kind of support. I'm trying to do this in order to have the funds to get some proper help and support, as my countless begging to the GP and ADHD serviced has been utterly futile and ignored.
On to my question, I received a call from an assessor with regards to my PIP claim last Thursday. The moment I heard an unfamiliar voice on the phone I froze up (one of the many issues I'm currently facing). This lady was the friendliest lady I'd ever heard speak to me, she was unsure as to whether she wanted me to have an assessment or put me through for paper based assessment. She said she would be in touch in 4 weeks time to let me know what she has decided and asked I submit any further information I possibly can. I just about managed to say to her I don't have anything more than what I have given (proof of diagnosis with information documented by my adhd consultant showing some of how my adhd affects me and everything I've stated on my form which I put a LOT of time and detail in to ensure I've thoroughly explained everything) and that I was now worried. She assured me not to worry she just wanted to advise me on this as she has been looking through my form and understands my problems.

I've never had this happen before. A call that wasn't them doing the assessment or booking it. Is this common practise now? Is 4 weeks normal wait for after a call like this to decide whether to do the assessment or paper based? I'm beyond confused and distressed by this and I have no idea how I'm going to cope the next few weeks now. This has been, is and will continue to plague my mind until I hear from her again. Can anyone advise?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not common no. If they have enough of information to complete a paper based assessment they will. Sometimes they may ring to ask some questions to see if a paper based assessment can be completed but it's rare for them to do that. 

If a paper based assessment can be completed you may not hear from them again as the report will be written and returned to DWP. If you gave a mobile number as a contact on the form then sometimes DWP do text with an update once the report is returned but not always. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • che123
    Options
    I did think it was weird that she said she would call again in 4 weeks. But of course my mind is in over drive now because of that statement. I guess all I can do is wait and see? I know I absolutely would not cope well at all with an assessment and said as such, but I did agree that I would try if it was nessacery when she makes her decision. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, all you can do is wait. If an assessment is needed you can ask for that to be be telephone, if you prefer that to face to face.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • che123
    Options
    I received a text from DWP today stating my claim form was now with an assessor. Does this mean I'm going to have to face an assessment? I wish they weren't so vague with it all. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As the majority of people have assessments then you should expect one. They are mostly by telephone. If you're sent an appointment and it's face to face then you can ring and ask for a telephone appointment. 

The texts you receive are standard texts for updates and that's why they are always so vague. 
  • che123
    Options
    Yeah I've sort of forced myself to accept that it's going to happen. It's been a frustrating 10 weeks total so far since I first made my claim. No assessment text as of yet, but I had to push myself today to phone pip to update them on yet another med change I've been put through. Was a very nice man I spoke to and he let me know that my claim was still with the assessor but nothing indicating an appointment for assessment as of yet. I've got it in to my head that history will repeat itself and I'll be turned down again and waited months for nothing. But with my mum's help I will want to fight this all the way to tribunal as I just can't deal with the lack of professional support anymore. It's why I applied, nhs funded support for my disability is none existent for adults and my consultant just throws tablets at me to "manage my symptoms better", so I figured if I can show pip the reality of what is going on in my life, that I can then fund for private support. Just want a quality of life.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Not everyone is refused so you shouldn't just assume this will happen again. With regards to ringing PIP to report changes to your medication, you don't need to do this every time there's a change. If you are awarded, you need to be very careful about reporting changes like this because they could take it literally and send you another form to fill in. Changes in medication is not a change that needs to be reported. 

You could have told them the changes during your assessment, if you have one. 
  • che123
    Options
    11 weeks in since I started my claim now and still no update on whether it will be paper based or telephone. Tried the pip line trick to see if maybe the text service is buggy again and the bot is asking security questions I can't answer (called 10 times and kept being asked the same questions so gave up). Starting to get quite worried now as the lady I spoke to said I'd hear within 4 weeks on what they decide with regards to my assessment and it's been just over 4 weeks now. Starting to worry I've been missed or my claim has been lost or something. I'm struggling with overthinking it all and checking my phone all day every day to see if I've had a text or missed a call. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Please try to think about something else, I know that's difficult. Timescales vary a lot for everyone and you'll never get 2 people with the same timescale. Backlogs and each individual cases cause delays. 

I must admit that being advised you will hear within 4 weeks very very optimistic. Who told you this? Was it someone from the PIP helping?

A decision can take anything up to about 6 months from the date you rang to start your claim. Unfortunately, all you can do is wait. 
  • che123
    Options
    Yes I thought it was quite an optimistic time frame to be honest. I'm unsure if it was pip or IAS, the person said they were deciding on whether to do paper based or telephone assessment then I got a text saying my claim was with an assessor. So I'm unsure what's going on but have heard nothing since. The automated line asks questions I don't have the answers to so I'd have to speak to someone if it's a case of I've just not been written to or texted, which with how I'm struggling atm is impossible for me. Guess all I can do is continue my wait.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If it was PIP you rang it would be someone from the call centre and not from IAS because they have a completely different telephone number. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.