Sudden MR call PIP

deela
deela Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi I had a call after a text last Friday - 6 days ago - from a PIP decision maker about my mandatory reconsideration. It made me hugely anxious as I struggle with unexpected phone calls. They said they needed some more information but all they asked was had I been in prison, hospital etc and could I manage a large sum of money. Which really confused me as I didn’t understand what they meant with that so I had to ask several times. I need people to be very precise with questions. They said would I impulsive spend a load of backpay for example. I said it was fine. I also wasn’t looking for budgeting points so was extra confused by the question. That was it. I initially thought maybe they did want to re-instate my pip if that’s all they asked but haven’t heard in 6 days. The anxiety and uncertainty is really impacting me. Also part of my conditions that I don’t cope well with that. I have heard that most people who get this call get awarded but also read some people don’t. And I don’t know what to think & I’m really struggling knowing they are looking at the MR right now. Anyone not been awarded who had a phone call like this for a PIP mr? 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,743 Online Community Coordinator
    Heya @deela and welcome to the community. :)

I'm sorry to hear the call made you so anxious, it's understandable getting calls out of the blue!
    That call sounds fairly standard, they'll often call to check bank details and things like that too, but you may not hear anything for a few weeks. Please try not to worry too much about this, I know it's easier said than done though.  
  • deela
    Thank you for your kind message. I can’t not worry as I have generalised anxiety disorder. I wish I could. I’m trying to remember that this is currently totally outside of my control and nothing else I can do but wait. But not knowing even when I will hear exactly is hard as an autistic person. 
  • Albus_Scope
    I can totally empathise, I'm also autistic with an anxiety disorder. It can get so tiring, but I find finding something you can hyperfocus on really helps.  Do you have any hobbies you could focus on? It might help switch the brain over for a while. 
  • wkd
    wkd Community member Posts: 91 Contributor
    deela said:
    Thank you for your kind message. I can’t not worry as I have generalised anxiety disorder. I wish I could. I’m trying to remember that this is currently totally outside of my control and nothing else I can do but wait. But not knowing even when I will hear exactly is hard as an autistic person. 
    I have not been through MR, but what I do know is when I was awarded PIP they rang up and asked me if could cope with a large sum of money with the back pay that they were going to pay me.  I think it sounds promising but I guess time will tell. 
  • deela
    I can totally empathise, I'm also autistic with an anxiety disorder. It can get so tiring, but I find finding something you can hyperfocus on really helps.  Do you have any hobbies you could focus on? It might help switch the brain over for a while. 
    Thank you. Something active might help but I also have ME and I’m limited that way in how much I can do. I’ve been resting all day, as I’m doing something this evening. Hoping my plans tonight might take my mind of things for those couple of hours at least. 
  • deela
    wkd said:
    deela said:
    I have not been through MR, but what I do know is when I was awarded PIP they rang up and asked me if could cope with a large sum of money with the back pay that they were going to pay me.  I think it sounds promising but I guess time will tell. 
    That’s what some people I know who get Benefits have said but almost all said they got the back pay within 3-5 days of the call, so I’m now overthinking things, As I’m prone to doing.
  • Albus_Scope
    Ah nice, I hope you have a fantastic time tonight. :)  
  • honeyhoney
    honeyhoney Community member Posts: 110 Contributor
    @deela I have had similar call after my MR and was awarded.
    Try to check "automated line" I would be able listen my payment after 3 days since the call was made.
  • deela
    I got the PIp back pay in my account. So 5 working days after if you take the bank holidays out. I can’t believe I’ve been successful at Mandatory Reconsideration stage. I cried with relief as that’s so rare. 
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,684 Online Community Coordinator
    Fantastic news @deela, what a relief! Hope you're able to relax a bit now :)
  • deela
    Fantastic news @deela, what a relief! Hope you're able to relax a bit now :)
    Absolutely thanks. I seem to have got higher awards too than I had the previous 6 years. I still can’t quite believe it. Just waiting for my letter now.