"Did not report significant functional problems" (PIP Assessor Report) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

"Did not report significant functional problems" (PIP Assessor Report)

AntrimDave
AntrimDave Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 29 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Can anyone tell me if this phrase (on the Consultation Report from the Assessor and endorsed at Mandatory Consideration) relates to the physical ability to carry out the activity or should in consider emotional aspects too?

Any advice appreciated. 

Thanks in advance
Tagged:

Comments

• JonnycJonny
    JonnycJonny Scope Member Posts: 107 Courageous
    By "no significant functional problems" they are saying that you have failed to show how a physical impairment or a mental condition ( not the clinical diagnosis itself )  prevents you from carrying out an activity to an acceptable standard ( reliably , repeatedly, safely ) or you do not require supervision, prompting or assistance from another person to carry out an activity to an acceptable standard ( reliably , repeatedly, safely )

Hope that helps.

Best wishes 
  • AntrimDave
    Thank you. That is appreciated. Application states and Assessor has noted (for example) claimant (autistic) is afraid in the kitchen and can't use cooker, hob, kettle or microwave for fear of being injured by heat. All activities have details explanation. It appears assessor simply does not accept evidence and that has cascaded right though. Gives us hope for tribunal.
    Thanks again. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,606 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 30
    Application states and Assessor has noted (for example) claimant (autistic) is afraid in the kitchen and can't use cooker, hob, kettle or microwave for fear of being injured by heat. All activities have details explanation. 
    Unfortunately that isn't evidence.  It's just an assertion.

This is one of the difficulties with mental conditions and PIP.  If a claimant suggests they can't do something through fear alone, but haven't actually injured themselves doing it, it is generally considered that they 'could' do that task.

The claimant really has to show a functional impairment for the task - so for example, hands shaking so much they are likely to get burnt by splashing hot water or blurred vision meaning they could accidentally touch a hot object.  Have to find the 'physical' limitations for the task, even when they are triggered mentally.
  • AntrimDave
    Thank you. That is very helpful indeed. I can work with that. The barriers are emotional but when those barriers are encountered there are physical signs of the tension and frustration they generate. I came to it late but will get the evidence to support the markings which are appropriate.

Thanks again. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,808 Disability Gamechanger
    It is also worth pointing out that you can't make the descriptors fit you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AntrimDave
    Absolutely. Could not agree more. I won't need to do that.

Thanks
  • Bydand
    Bydand Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    It is also worth pointing out that you can't make the descriptors fit you. 

That should maybe be ..you SHOULDNT make the descriptors fit you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.