Will Carers Allowance be backdated after Successful Appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will Carers Allowance be backdated after Successful Appeal?

Options
Shecar
Shecar Community member Posts: 9 Courageous
Scenario:
  • 25+ Years higher rates with both DLA, (for life) & PIP, Enh/Enh 
  • Review Feb '24: Assessor has noted zero points due to 'going to work 4 days a week.' and No evidence of how Conditions affect her everyday life - despite all of the current and previous evidence being held/sent in.
  • I appreciate that the Decision Maker (DM) is meant to go through the paperwork and make a decision themselves, but let's face it, we don't hear of many examples of the DM going against the Assessor where points are concerned!
  • On receipt of the PA4 I telephoned the DWP and was put through to a Case Worker, she told me that as my daughter had been on higher rates for DLA, (for life at that time), and enhanced PIP for both categories, and no changes to be expected when assessed in 2017 that I should make a complaint to Capita re the report. She also assured me that the DM would look beyond the zero points and question the validity of the PA4, given my daughters history of conditions etc - but talk is cheap :neutral: It would be lovely to assume that she was right, but given the experiences of others over the past few years, I am being proactive;
That being, I am laying the groundwork for the MR: (it's been nearly 6 weeks since the PA4 was sent in to the DWP). Assessor has ignored all current and previous evidence including previous assessors report, medical evidence, evidence from the workplace - her personalised RA's etc despite listing it as considered.
(re: the Complaint to Capita, they have to the 4th April to investigate - 20 working days).

Question: If the DM agrees with the Assessor, then both her PIP and the Carers Allowance will be stopped. I will then put in the MR, should that not be successful, I will appeal. (Daughter was starved of oxygen at birth, has many documented problems including ADHD, Dyspraxia, Cognitive and Processing Disorders, all backed up with medical and Psychiatrists reports that span her lifetime so far).

Note: GP was very supportive, but commented that this was not uncommon of the Assessors being used - she mentioned that others with even more limiting conditions were also being forced to go to Appeals - which in itself is absolutely disgusting..... :neutral:

If a MR or an Appeal are successful would the Carers Allowance be backdated more than the usual 3 months that it's backdated for new claims? ie backdated to the day that the original Decision Maker stopped the PIP Claim? (however many months that would be)

I know that I could be 'jumping the gun' here, but I have to be as prepared as I can be, time goes so fast, so being proactive is a must. 

Many thanks for any help, advice or experience you have to give

x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes the carers allowance would back dated to the date it stopped. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Shecar
    Shecar Community member Posts: 9 Courageous
    Options
    Many thanks Poppy

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.