Pip mobility — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip mobility

kj1892 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Hi everyone hope all had a great Easter 

anywho been suffering with back problems for a while long time and had numerous scans kept saying wear and tear on pain killers amitrip any way last week on nhs app ordering repeat noticed another medical condition opened it and it said from last recent scan they now say it spinal stenosis but no one has told me this now I have enhanced daily living rate but no mobility rate should i apply for this or will it cause problems my mobility is poor and the pain is constant 

If anyone has ideas that would be greatly appreciated 


  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kj1892 - spinal stenosis, or narrowing of the spinal canal, can be part of the normal ageing process &/or 'wear & tear,' so possibly why this hasn't been mentioned.
    If you contact the DWP to say something has changed, this would be considered a 'Change of circumstances,' & you'd be sent a new claim form & very likely need another assessment. Please see first if you feel you'd be able to gain points for mobility, & be aware that your whole award will be looked at again. This could result in your award staying the same, going up or down.
    That said, if you're in constant pain that should be taken into account, but have a look at the 'mobility' section here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
    Then get some guidance perhaps as to whether it would be wise to proceed, or not: https://advicelocal.uk/
    Choose 'Welfare benefits' from the drop down menu. If there's a Welfare Rights Office near you, they'd likely be able to give the best advice.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,214 Scope online community team
    Hey @kj1892 I'm sorry to hear about the new diagnosis! That can't have been an easy way to find out. 
    With PIP, it's not about any diagnosis, but how your conditions affect each of the descriptors.  If you think it affects descriptors in the mobility component, you can report a change to PIP. You cant just apply for one component unfortunately, it'd be a full reassessment.
     But please be warned, a reassessment could mean a drop in benefits instead of a raise. 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
  • kj1892
    kj1892 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Rrr cool thanks for getting back so quickly I’ll look into what you said 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.