Found a home I like but unable to bid as its not adapted. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Found a home I like but unable to bid as its not adapted.

Options
Aphrodite_Persephone
Aphrodite_Persephone Community member Posts: 20 Connected
I've waited months and finally a property has been listed I like/in the area I want, via my local housing council. Unfortunately as the property is not adapted I cannot place a bid. This is extremely unfair as my OT report (placed in Band B for medical) states I can need to be moved to an adapted property or one that CAN BE adapted, as my current one is obviously unsuitable. Also adapted properties are hardly ever listed so this just increases waiting time for disabled tenants. 

I'm considering emailing my housing officer about this as the property is in the same area as my family, who I rely on for support which would make its much easier for my mum to come round, is also closer for children (son & nephew) to university and college.

Any advice please.
Tagged:

Comments

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 317 Pioneering
    Options
    You have nothing to lose by asking. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your son and nephew are at college and uni I suspect they would be seen as capable of travel ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    edited April 4
    Options
    It's well worth emailing your housing officer to see what they say @Aphrodite_Persephone. As Kimmy put it above, there's nothing to lose by asking some questions and seeing whether something could be done for you :)

Do you think the property would be easily adapted to your needs? 
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 279 Pioneering
    Options
    No harm is calling or emailing your housing officer.
    It could be that the property isn’t adaptable or the funding isn’t available for it to be adapted so you would need to bid on already adapted properties.

It could also be that they know other bidders will take the property without having to fund adaptions but only your housing officer would be able to provide that information.

Even with Band B Medical it can take many months to years to get a property depending on the council and stock.

I know my local council keep a set amount of properties that are void from adaptions for non-disabled tenants
  • Aphrodite_Persephone
    Options
    @Luchia @Rosie_Scope @Kimmy87

Thank you, well I went back onto the website and now there is a  property in a flat which says non adapted/no disabled facilities/not suitable for disabled but yet I'm able to bid on that, which is weird.

I'm considering to screenshot both properties and send in the email to my housing officer but I'm wondering if it's even worth it and just to wait out for another suitable property to be listed instead. I'm in a lot of pain today so maybe I just don't have it in me to email 🙈🙈
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 279 Pioneering
    Options
    @Luchia @Rosie_Scope @Kimmy87

Thank you, well I went back onto the website and now there is a  property in a flat which says non adapted/no disabled facilities/not suitable for disabled but yet I'm able to bid on that, which is weird.

I'm considering to screenshot both properties and send in the email to my housing officer but I'm wondering if it's even worth it and just to wait out for another suitable property to be listed instead. I'm in a lot of pain today so maybe I just don't have it in me to email 🙈🙈
    Hope you managed to get some rest and the pain as at least eased off.

No harm in sending an email, it might even work out better as you have proof of the communication that you wouldn’t get with a phone call.

Hopefully an adapted property you can bid on comes up soon.

The property you are able to bid on at the moment does it show roughly your position in the queue?
  • Aphrodite_Persephone
    Options
    @Luchia

Oh yes you're right as some properties can't be adapted, for example my current one can't have a stairlift or through floor lift installed and the hallways cannot be widen (both which I need) as to why we're a priority to move. I won't bother my housing officer, I'll just keep looking until something suitable is listed to bid on.

I think we all expect to find a suitable property and move in quickly once we're able to bid after the long process of waiting for and having an OT assessment. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.