Carers Allowance and work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance and work

Options
Jellihead
Jellihead Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Recently I read an article, which I have attached and I just wanted to share with everyone that you can earn up to £151 per week, 2024-2025 figures - after DEDUCTIONS which is not that much but is better than nothing.  Here are deductions that can be taken into account from Carers UK.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/carers-allowance/carer-s-allowance-and-the-earnings-limit/#:~:text=To help clarify what the,after deductions – see Q2).

Here is the article regarding how DWP reacted to those who didn't know their earning potential.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-68737244

I thought people should know.

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's a shame they pay so little on carer's allowance and that you can't earn much at all, but I definitely don't think many people know you can earn anything at all when claiming, especially that there are deductions they can account for!! 
  • Jellihead
    Jellihead Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Options
    Also I am not sure how many people know that once you are eligible for State Pension, whatever age that will be in the future, Carers Allowance stops.  You get, what is called an "underlying entitlement" allowance. For which you may have to apply for Pension Credit.  Which not many people know about.  Even if you only get a £1.00 from Pension Credit it opens up other support.  Always worth checking on gov.uk

"This means you will not be eligible to be paid Carer’s Allowance. However, it is still worth applying as you may be able to get what’s called an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance. This is where it is agreed that you meet the criteria for Carer’s Allowance, and you will be sent a letter of ‘underlying entitlement’.

This tells the benefit agencies that you are still a carer, and because of this it may mean certain benefits you’re already receiving increase (if they’re means-tested, ie based on your earnings, income or capital) or you may be eligible to receive certain benefits for the first time.

You may be able to claim a benefit called Pension Credit instead."
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It should also be pointed out that some people claim other benefits as well as carers allowance. For example, Income Support, if they are claiming this benefit while working there is only a £20/week disregard in their Income Support, after that the IS is reduced £1 for £1. 

Also Universal Credit has replaced all other means tested benefits (working age) so if someone is claiming UC the carers allowance is deducted in full. You don't need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carers element and there's no earnings limit to carers element like there is with carers allowance. 

However, the same person can't receive the LCWRA element of UC and carers element at the same time. In this situation the higher element will be paid, which is LCWRA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.