Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Working, sickness and UC

jamichaela Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello Everyone,

I have a question if anyone has any advice pls. Im working full time and get support with housing via UC as Im a single parent. 
I get UC allowance but most gets taken as I earn too much so only get support with housing. Im not in a good place right now and struggling with mental health. I was thinking of going to GP and getting signed off for a bit to get through this challenging time. Im on waiting list for therapy with àssessment on 26th this month. 
If I get SSP how will this effect my UC and will they top SSP up so I can manage financialy or will I just get SSP via employer? 
Im also about to loose my job due to my mental health, had a breakdown in Jan and since director decided Im no longet fit for business so making it hard for me and extended my probation but my line manager has been suportive, I reduced my hours to 4 days a week but she is being pressured into letting me go. She was very open and I said I dont want to be inthis type of environment either but Im not fit for much right now. So my other question is if she ended my probation would I get UC payments? Im soo stressed with all of this and its making my anxiety off the charts.
Thank you


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,015 Disability Gamechanger
    SSP is treated the same as earnings and reduces your UC by 55p for every £1 you earn. If you have dependent children on your UC claim then you will have the work allowance. This means that £379/month of earnings received is ignored before the deductions apply. Same rules apply to SSP. 

    Your UC entitlement is based on earnings received each month so if earnings decrease your UC will increase. How much it will increase by will depend what your maximum UC entitlement is. Your UC doesn't just include housing element. It will also include standard allowance, child element (if you have children on your claim) and any other elements you're entitled to. All of that makes up your maximum UC entitlement. 

    You can report your health condition to UC by reporting a change of circumstances and clicking "health conditions" you will then need to provide a fit note (sick note) and you will then be referred for a work capability assessment. Please note that unless you're currently claiming a disability benefit such as PIP/ADP or DLA and your earnings are more than 16xNMW/week, you will not be able to be referred for a work capability assessment. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.