discriminatory recruitment assesment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

discriminatory recruitment assesment

Options
iammisunderstood
iammisunderstood Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, i recently undertook an assessment for a job application process and was rejected. the assessment involved summering a large text in 200 words. it was conducted over Microsoft teams, the text was presented to us in a series of images (clearly screenshots) of the text. this made it nearly impossible to follow due to my dyslexia, i couldn't use my text to speech software. had the text been given in a professional format such as PDF or word document i would have been able to do a better job at my response. I have written a complaint directly to them and awaiting a reply. i don't have high hopes of a satisfactory outcome here. what are my options?

Comments

• Bydand
    Bydand Community member Posts: 87 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello, i recently undertook an assessment for a job application process and was rejected. the assessment involved summering a large text in 200 words. it was conducted over Microsoft teams, the text was presented to us in a series of images (clearly screenshots) of the text. this made it nearly impossible to follow due to my dyslexia, i couldn't use my text to speech software. had the text been given in a professional format such as PDF or word document i would have been able to do a better job at my response. I have written a complaint directly to them and awaiting a reply. i don't have high hopes of a satisfactory outcome here. what are my options?
    Hi, Did you raise your dyslexia to them prior to the assessment or disclose it at any point ?.

Did you raise that you were having some difficulties during the teams meeting ?. There are ways you can bring it up without others knowing.

Not an expert in this at all, but if you didn’t bring it to their notice, despite it maybe being uncomfortable to do so then I am unsure what redress you want from them
  • iammisunderstood
    iammisunderstood Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    they did know about my dyslexia. I didn't feel comfortable bringing it up, it was a teams meeting with a lot of other people, we were all muted. i couldn't do very much without it impacting the assessment as i didn't know of the issue until the clock had started. I had a response from them saying they had "technical issues". and that i had agreed to extra time due to my dyslexia. but i wasn't to know the assessment was to be carried out in such a manor. all i want is a fair crack at getting a job. this just feels like another barrier 
  • Bydand
    Bydand Community member Posts: 87 Pioneering
    Options
    they did know about my dyslexia. I didn't feel comfortable bringing it up, it was a teams meeting with a lot of other people, we were all muted. i couldn't do very much without it impacting the assessment as i didn't know of the issue until the clock had started. I had a response from them saying they had "technical issues". and that i had agreed to extra time due to my dyslexia. but i wasn't to know the assessment was to be carried out in such a manor. all i want is a fair crack at getting a job. this just feels like another barrier 
    Thanks for sharing.

i agree that bringing it up during a teams meeting would be difficult. If they knew beforehand that you had dyslexia though then yes they should have prepared better, even sending out the work to you beforehand if necessary or as you suggest , in a different format.

To be fair Teams often suffers from technical difficulties, it is often a poor choice of communicating to groups.

i am not sure how you go about challenging this other than raising the issue with them which you have done. It will be interesting to see their reply.

i would imagine that they will bring up the fact that you had extra time as agreed.

Hopefully others will chime in who know more about this than me, but yes, I can see how easily frustration could set in

kindest
    S
  • wandererexplorer
    wandererexplorer Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Am on LCW , was told ages ago had to report my health condition , and put them all on form by work coach at the Job centre . Was told I must put all health conditions on it . Now had surgery reported change to health that done my recovery time from surgery yet been keep on it , confused why? Told work coach she said it does not work like that about a year ago u do not just come of it you have to await a assessment . About a year or so later get the work capability form to fill in again so guess that's what has to be done for the assessment that was in oct and am expected to just wait and do not know how long for they cannot say , by work coach is that how its really done I have to wait for them to take me of it , I want to work am expected to research stuff that would just make it impossible to find a job . Was told could look for full time job by work coach than read on line your only allowed to work part time she denies that saying not true but now expected to research type of job would never get . Is this normal practice would I be in trouble if took type of job they expect me to avoid. Do u still get work allowance extra money when get job on LCW as do not want it as had surgery and know it said in letter when was made to first do work capability form if your over paid you will be made to pay it back so as know on LCW your not required to look for job fill got no choice but to wait for them to take me of it , but am worried they will use over health conditions to keep me on it . and advice information be thankful for    

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.